Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester Premium X CVT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My forester burnt out all of its oil on the highway, at first i thought it was a misfire since it was not accelerating normally. I pulled of the highway turned off my vehicle and it jitter way too much, I was able to put it in neutral and push it down the road. I went to Autozone and bought oil, i put about 2.5 quarts in periods of like 10 min so as to not flood the engine. After briefly waiting i turned the car on and the rod knock was incredibly 10x more noticeable. I took great care of the car never had less than 1/4 of a tank, bought new tires, washed it regularly and rarely stepped on it though I did have a turbo which made it very fun to drive. I bought it in August at 165k Miles and now Im up to 169k most of which are highway miles. Looking to see if anyone experienced the same tragedy and how much they spent on fixing it, or if anyone is knowledgeable as to if i should even fix and engine with 169k miles.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
I'm sorry that happened to you.

I'm not being a smart arse after the event, but if you were checking your oil regularly, atr least weekly, how did you not know that oil starvation was about to happen? Or did something unforseen happen and you lost all the oil very quickly?

If the car is in otherwise good condition then it would probably be worth repairing it, if you have the $$

Whatever happens the engine has to come and go in again, so the labour rates there would be more or less equal. The big question is do you spend $$ on labour and parts to rebuild the engine versus trying to source another engine? It's a tough call because you don't waht damage has been done until it's opened up.

My choice would be to rebuild the engine myself but I'm not sure how mechanically minded you are?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,589 Posts
If its the "X" its not a turbo. Tough call.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts