Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a pic of where the black smoke is coming from when I drive the car.

As you can this is the drivers side, note the shiny oil at the bottom. Any ideas?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
You don't have rockers, so no rocker cover gaskets.....

I would say that's not cam cover gaskets either as there is too much oil on top of the cam cover - including on top of the oil breather system connection, may want to check the oil breather connection gasket, and pipework.

The oil breather connection is the flat plate just visible in the center top of your photo behind the 'silver bit', it looks like that is the root cause of the leak to me.

Simon

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,984 Posts
Looks to me as if the oil separator on the cylinder head breather could be loose or the breather pipe itself not on properly. Items 3/4 below........

First thing would be to wash off all the muck and when clean check for any leaks.
You could also check that all the cover bolts are tight.

The "shiny" bit is oil on the up pipe where your smoke is coming from.

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, I cleaned that area and went on holiday for 2 weeks. I lent the car to a friend and got it back a couple of days ago, the piece numbered 3 is still clean, no oil leaking from there. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
I thought my gaskets was shot. Turned out to be the hose on top of the cover. It was just laying on top of the hose connection.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,984 Posts
Right, I cleaned that area and went on holiday for 2 weeks. I lent the car to a friend and got it back a couple of days ago, the piece numbered 3 is still clean, no oil leaking from there. Any other ideas?
So no sign of leak at all anywhere???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts