Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this video at the local NPR station's site. It's quite amazing, though kind of eerie. I do wish that they had said a bit more about how autonomous its movement is, and what parts of the movement were being controlled through the tether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68mp7dYUOWU&feature=player_embedded

Here's the commentary from the NPR site.
There are many among us who subscribe to the Indiana Jones theory of snakes - in a word, "ewwww" - but you have to admit they can get to places the rest of us can't. Hence the OmniTread, a University of Michigan-designed prototype for a locate-and-rescue robot that uses snake-style movements to get into difficult places.

The potential drawback here is, obviously, that the person being rescued flips out upon seeing a robotic snake coming straight at them and decides that being buried in rubble is preferable. Maybe they could have the snakebot play a happy tune, like ice cream trucks do... ?​

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
i cand see that now, you buried under rubble and then out of the blue you hear the ice cream truck song............lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not creepy at all to me. I could see the US military using this as an alternative to their drones (lolskygrabber). Although it does seem to be very loud. >.>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts