Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
08 fsxt 5spd
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm planning on doing a ~3000 mile road trip (7-10 days) sometime this spring/summer/fall and wanted to get some input on how I might prepare my car.

Stats: 2008 Forester XT with about 130k miles.
Recent major maintenance within last year: timing belt, spark plugs, radiator replaced (b/c it cracked), new tires. And usual oil changes.

Any other maintenance you guys think I should get done? Honestly, with my forester's age, other than the things listed, I've only been doing things as they're needed.

I also got AAA, but I'd like to get all my duck's in a row.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
713 Posts
I'm planning on doing a ~3000 mile road trip (7-10 days) sometime this spring/summer/fall and wanted to get some input on how I might prepare my car.

I also got AAA, but I'd like to get all my duck's in a row.
You and I are kind-of alike, I'm thinking. My sons #2 and #4 are right now in the middle of a 2500 mile trip to visit son #1 with my '99, 228,000 miles. Subie AWD is great in this western US snow storm!

To prep I did nothing to the car beyond check the oil and fill up the tank, and ask them to get the oil changed sometime before heading back. This week son #1 asked if I wanted them to put on new front rotors and pads to take care of the pulsating brakes; "Wow, yes and I'll cover the cost of parts." Trip looks like a win all around.

On AAA, I added son #4 to my membership and upgraded the membership benefits to the Premier Level (200 miles free towing).

·
Registered
08 fsxt 5spd
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You and I are kind-of alike, I'm thinking. My sons #2 and #4 are right now in the middle of a 2500 mile trip to visit son #1 with my '99, 228,000 miles. Subie AWD is great in this western US snow storm!

To prep I did nothing to the car beyond check the oil and fill up the tank, and ask them to get the oil changed sometime before heading back. This week son #1 asked if I wanted them to put on new front rotors and pads to take care of the pulsating brakes; "Wow, yes and I'll cover the cost of parts." Trip looks like a win all around.

On AAA, I added son #4 to my membership and upgraded the membership benefits to the Premier Level (200 miles free towing).
Thanks! Good idea, just upgraded my AAA to premier now. I can see how that 200 mile (and additional 100 mile) tows might come in handy.

·
Registered
713 Posts
"I'm planning on doing a ~3000 mile road trip (7-10 days) sometime this spring/summer/fall."

Oohh, so where are you thinking of going that's 3000 mile loop from Texas?

I've enjoyed the southern part of Utah, but never did it, nor wanted to visit, in the summer when it's so hot with school vacation crowds.
Do you have a hidden jem you would share that's 3 season good?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
263 Posts
One item most people overlook until it's too late - make sure the spare tire is fully inflated. If it's a mini-donut, it probably needs 60psi. After a few years, they are usually around 30-40psi and sometimes less. If you have a full-size spare, make sure it's in the 32-34psi range (check your door jamb for a small label or plaque with that info). Check out one of the mini inflators that plug into the cigarette lighter - about the size of a Bible (which is also a good thing to carry along!) and can inflate a tire in about 5 - 10 minutes. They cost $20 at WallyWorld. Great to throw in by the spare.

If you don't have a spare (many new cars just come with a can of Fix-A-Flat, then it's time to invest in a spare. LOL

Safe travels!

·
Registered
08 fsxt 5spd
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"I'm planning on doing a ~3000 mile road trip (7-10 days) sometime this spring/summer/fall."

Oohh, so where are you thinking of going that's 3000 mile loop from Texas?

I've enjoyed the southern part of Utah, but never did it, nor wanted to visit, in the summer when it's so hot with school vacation crowds.
Do you have a hidden jem you would share that's 3 season good?
I want to see the Grand Canyon, Zion, or Monument Valley. Not sure if I can see them all in one trip, but that's what I'm thinking of. And now I'm second guessing if summer is the wisest time to go.:lol:

One item most people overlook until it's too late - make sure the spare tire is fully inflated. If it's a mini-donut, it probably needs 60psi. After a few years, they are usually around 30-40psi and sometimes less. If you have a full-size spare, make sure it's in the 32-34psi range (check your door jamb for a small label or plaque with that info). Check out one of the mini inflators that plug into the cigarette lighter - about the size of a Bible (which is also a good thing to carry along!) and can inflate a tire in about 5 - 10 minutes. They cost $20 at WallyWorld. Great to throw in by the spare.

If you don't have a spare (many new cars just come with a can of Fix-A-Flat, then it's time to invest in a spare. LOL

Safe travels!
Good catch. Can't remember the last time I even looked at the donut. This also reminds me to bring my portable air pump too.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
263 Posts
I want to see the Grand Canyon, Zion, or Monument Valley. Not sure if I can see them all in one trip, but that's what I'm thinking of. And now I'm second guessing if summer is the wisest time to go.:lol:
We are planning to drive out early summer to see those three spots plus Death Valley, Mesa Verde, Petrified Forest, Boulder Dam, Arches, Canyonlands, Old Rt 66 (Seligman to Kingman), Glen Canyon, Old Rt 30 (Lincoln Highway) back through Nebraska, and more. I have an itinerary written out for 30 days and about 5,500 miles (with side-trips and visiting relatives). It's our retirement celebration, and our new '19 Forester (base) should be the perfect vehicle for exploring.

We might pass like two ships in the night. LOL Safe travels!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Have been going to Southern Utah and N Arizona for many yrs., self and family vacations.

In spring best time to visit is mid-April to just before Memorial Day wknd. I've only been there in fall once, and it was later than optimum (Thanksgiving); think best fall time would be wknd after Labor Day to mid Oct. Weather and avoiding excess visitor numbers = basis of judgement.

You and I are car people, but consider flying to Las Vegas and renting a car. Vegas flights and cars are cheap and you'll save 3 or 4 days in travel time, means more time at destination. Your really nice visitor sights make a do-able easy loop from LV. 1st stop Zion Park could be only 3 hours from LV. I'm a real enthusiast for visiting that region, so would work to maximize your time there vs. travel to get there.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Premium
40 Posts
I took a trip last spring from Northern California and managed to fit Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, and some other smaller stops all into 8 days so it can be done!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts