Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had my v11 tax reminder and was a bit pissed at yet another increase of £10 per year; so it's now £265 for 12 months.

However as my insurance is due on the 9th of this month I'd thought I check a few comparison sites out as was quoted £10 extra from my insurance company too. This would have been £366 for 12 months.
I done the usual compare the meerkat, money supermarket etc and was quoted over £100 dearer than my renewal quote. So was all set to just renew it until I said to myself 'och I'll give direct line a call'

Omg they are flipping awesome. With all modifications including £1350 worth of audio equipment, my MrR's, my Prodrive alloys etc and my NCD of 7 years the quote was........ Wait for it..... £198.24.

Wow unbelievable. I guess being 45 and have 7 years no claims has eventually paid off.
Wooflippinghoooooo. :cool:(y)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just be thankful you don't live here in the Republic of Ireland - road tax for my 2.5 Xten (2005) costs €305 per quarter.... The road tax charges changed in 2008 so given the high CO2 output of the engine, i'd be paying even more if i had a newer model. Dericulous...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aye the 2.0 UK s turbo was that price on road tax. I'm led to believe that as the FSTi is an import and that there is no record of the emissions etc this is why it is lower.
I could be wrong though.
Oh just read your post without skimming and wow thats per quarter!
Flipping 'eck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
yup.... Pre 2008 road tax based on engine size. Post 2008 based on CO2 - but it's wayyyyyy more expensive over here than in the UK

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aye so I hear..... Outrageous, glad I live in the UK now although a couple of years ago I contemplated moving to Greece.

Are all adverts for vehicles over in Ireland electric related? That's all I see here. Guess it's the aim to go electric eventually... Over my dead body will I be taking the plunge over to EV's. I'd rather cut my dooker off with a wooden spoon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are a lot of ads for EV / hybrid cars in general - diesels are being demonised big time. The Subaru Ireland website is very poor in general and there's nothing on it about what's coming re EVs other than an article from the Geneva car show (i think) where the EVs/hybrids were announced. Car tax for EVs here is very low but that's about to be changed in the very near future

·
Registered
214 Posts
Whilst I know being young has it's advantages generally, insurance is definitely not the case! A guy at a local hardware place said to me he just passed his test, he's driving some 1 litre something or other... pays £135 a month..

Also, I don't know if you've tried Adrian Flux? They've always been pretty good to me and I hear their very good on mods... they do try and beat other quotes if you can be bothered to try them...

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Also, I don't know if you've tried Adrian Flux? They've always been pretty good to me and I hear their very good on mods... they do try and beat other quotes if you can be bothered to try them...
[/QUOTE]

No they don't been with them for 21yrs and quoted me £410 for my daily lupo ….. axa quoted £304 .
I told them about the better quote and they came back £340 and can we still accept your renewal (straight out out of my account )
I said why the hell would I pay £36 more for the same service and im taking the forester off you as well when the time comes .
What is even more amazing is the sales man / women sounded affronted that I wanted a better deal . what utter complete kiunts .
to some up (in the words of a great Scots Man) I told them to to Phark off !

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No they don't been with them for 21yrs and quoted me £410 for my daily lupo ….. axa quoted £304 .
I told them about the better quote and they came back £340 and can we still accept your renewal (straight out out of my account )
I said why the hell would I pay £36 more for the same service and im taking the forester off you as well when the time comes .
What is even more amazing is the sales man / women sounded affronted that I wanted a better deal . what utter complete kiunts .
to some up (in the words of a great Scots Man) I told them to to Phark off !
[/QUOTE]

:LOL:Yet again I agree with you. I tried Adrian Flux first as I have had great cover and quotes back in my veedub days but this time around it was nearly a monkey. (that's £500) for those not in the know.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do you not challenge them/insurance yearly? In my experience with lots of companies renewals are always ridiculous!

Edit: I know it's a palava to do and sometimes nothing much happens...

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
I didn't challenge them because year on year the forester insurance was coming down, over ten yrs ncd.

but when I went to insure my second car after a year they caned me with the £410 then reducing to £340 after me telling them about the AXA quote .
Now if they had started off with the £340 quote I wouldn't have bothered to find a cheaper one .

This in my mind is a blatant rip off and goes to show when they say "we value your custom" they are lying .

·
Registered
214 Posts
Oh wow, my renewals offers were never cheaper and my ncd is 10+

I wonder if they have some sneaky guideline detecting 2 cars and you get entered into the "complacent file" where they assume you'll just stay with them for ease...

I do find it a p155 take when they take the money out your account something like 2 weeks before renewal too!! (they always return it if you find somewhere cheaper,, but obviously that's not the point)

·
Registered
214 Posts
My time for renewal came, AF renewal was £515, called them, got it back down to a respectable (at this stage) £435... unfortunately my hands were somewhat tied as a claim against me for an incident around Christmas last year (involving a small brush to the rear quarter of a 3rd party) - Deemed to cost £380, has actually cost £393, but is still currently open, sitting at a whopping £3859.43..."ya know, incase there is any follow up..." basically they have allowed that much for the claim and if that much isn't claimed then it's somewhat credited back into good boy points for me...

Unfortunately I'd have to share that monster "claim" with another insurance company and explain how it's not really cost that much...

Pretty ludicrous but what can one say when the Mafioso are dressed as insurance companies, bend you over a barrel and get a nod from the Gov before they give you the good news...

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
That's a very good price highland forry.
I pay triple that for my Impreza with 11 yrs NCB and that is with Stuart Collins (underwriter AXA).
AF and others were really pisstaking.
Road tax in Greece is as mad as in Ireland unfortunately.
Ian, you are absolutely right about Mafioso!

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's really weird, I find AF to be the only ones that don't screw me over (particularly)... I mean their auto renewal prices are ridiculous, but personally I find that with all insurance companies..

I looked at another few, but because I don't have any history driving a fast turbo car (don't thing a 1.6 turbo diesel counts heheh) they don't want to know me...

I suppose also recent ownership may weigh against me... they're just waiting for me to do something silly.

I do live in the city centre (technically/post code wise) so that doesn't help.. but I have over 10yrs ncb...

Mishmash I guess...

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
I've just had my v11 tax reminder and was a bit pissed at yet another increase of £10 per year; so it's now £265 for 12 months.

However as my insurance is due on the 9th of this month I'd thought I check a few comparison sites out as was quoted £10 extra from my insurance company too. This would have been £366 for 12 months.
I done the usual compare the meerkat, money supermarket etc and was quoted over £100 dearer than my renewal quote. So was all set to just renew it until I said to myself 'och I'll give direct line a call'

Omg they are flipping awesome. With all modifications including £1350 worth of audio equipment, my MrR's, my Prodrive alloys etc and my NCD of 7 years the quote was........ Wait for it..... £198.24.

Wow unbelievable. I guess being 45 and have 7 years no claims has eventually paid off.
Wooflippinghoooooo. :cool:(y)

Brilliant result! I'm with A Plan due in a couple of months I'm going to try Adrain Flux as the Surrey Scooby chaps swear by the.

Good result!

ATVB.

Alan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts