Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester premium cvt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from a road trip on highways bathed in salt (along with rain). Took my 2014 premium 2.5 to the car wash,when drying it off I noticed dried salt spray under the hood on top of the engine. Anybody else notice this,and is there any "add on" seal to protect the engine from the elements?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,245 Posts
I don't think it's possible to seal the engine from the elements. The air has to flow thru the radiator, passing over & around the engine before exiting the engine compartment. This is why engines from States that use road salts in the winter tend to have more engine rust & corrosion. :frown:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I don't think it's possible to seal the engine from the elements. The air has to flow thru the radiator, passing over & around the engine before exiting the engine compartment. This is why engines from States that use road salts in the winter tend to have more engine rust & corrosion. :frown:

Bobby...
This is exactly why I advocate washing the engine compartment and engine a couple of times during the year, especially immediately after winter has ended.

I have been doing so on every vehicle I have owned and never experienced any ill effects to the engine.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
611 Posts
This is exactly why I advocate washing the engine compartment and engine a couple of times during the year, especially immediately after winter has ended.

I have been doing so on every vehicle I have owned and never experienced any ill effects to the engine.
This. Just make sure that the engine is not warm/hot and that you cover the alternator with foil to keep it from getting wet.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
143 Posts
also make sure you don't use any sort of high pressure wash when hitting the engine compartment -- lower pressure is better, less chance of getting water where you don't want it

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Good advice for the newbees, fellas.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
My 2014 Limited is by far the dirtiest under the hood after 3 months of winter than ANY VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED. I was starting to think that someone was opening my hood and letting the snow plow's shoot crap right into the engine compartment.

In all seriousness three months of winter and the top of the engine looks like there has been no hood on the forester for the entire winter and that the engine may have been turned upside down several times to insure an even coating of crap both top and bottom were applied. I have NEVER had another vehicle with such a dirty engine compartment after a winter. It's BAD! This thing is HORRIBLE at keeping the weather out. It's probably my biggest complaint so far... Other than the cheap thin extremely easily chipped windshield. lol

Nick

·
Registered
2014 forester premium cvt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am so with you- I too have NEVER had a vehicle suffer abuse in the engine compartment like this one (EXACTLY as you so described.) I also have had windshield troubles. I had a stone hit my windshield after owning it a couple of weeks,and had it fixed,and then a few weeks later had another stone hit my winshield and had to get a whole new replacement. I'd love to know what the difference is with this car's design that it lets in all the road junk under the hood.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited AT
126 Posts
I actually just noticed the salt spray on my engine today when I went to do an oil change. I know that the alternator needs to be shielded, but I'm thinking the air-filter box could potentially allow water inside. I'm also somewhat worried about water getting into tight places and causing rust. Let's say somebody was going to be really meticulous about covering things, what other areas are vulnerable?

·
Registered
2014 2.5 premium 6 speed manual
86 Posts
I'm right there with you all.

This thing is absolutely disgusting under the hood.

I also agree with the windshield being chintzy.

·
Registered
2014 forester cvt
109 Posts
I agree with others that under the hood on this car gets the most salt of any I have ever owned. Makes you wonder about the long term durability. I have not washed under the hood of a car in forever. But I will be washing this one as soon as the weather breaks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2014 Forester Touring

Hi everyone: I purchased my Forester about less than three months ago and I've noticed that the motor has a white coating all over just about everything. it appears to be a film from road salt.
we've had snow here in Southern New Jersey more than usual over this winter and the county has used road salt more then they normally do.
with this being said, I also have a 2009 Honda Accord and a 2003 Civic and the engine compartments are perfectly clean.
what gives with my 2014 Forester and this salt issue? we utilize each of the cars equally but the Subie is really loaded with this corrosive salt or whatever it is.

any suggestions on the why and the best way the safely clean it and maybe add something to protect the metal components from becoming damaged from the salt. since we are hopefully finished with the snow, I'd like to act on a cleanup ASAP.
Please advise.
in conclusion, how is all this salt residue getting into to compartment ? it doesn't look as if its coming in from the bottom. Anyone else having or had this issue?

thank one and all. Steve

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester Cvt
195 Posts
We are all having this problem in the rust belt. ( salt spray from the cars in front of you)The problem is there is no rubber gasket between the hood and the top of the plastic grill. I have a 2012 Outback and it has a nice soft rubber gasket attached to the hood and it keeps the salt spray out. I am going to try to find some kind of gasket for my 2014 Forester before next winter. I think it is do to cost cutting on the Forester. I kept cleaning mine throughout the winter using a spray bottle of glass cleaner And a soft brush and rags. Just keep from spraying onto the electrical connections and you should be fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2016 OPTIMA, RDX 6 speed auto for both
565 Posts
I use tire cleaner then rinse with the high pressure sprayer. 30 years of doing it like this. Looks good as new in 2-3 minutes. Dress the plastic with Vinylex.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Manual Trans - the only way to go!!!!!
41 Posts
Hood Gasket

Good Evening-

Has anybody else noticed how dirty the engine bay gets on the 2014 Forester? I opened the hood after driving in the snow/rain and the engine was wet and filthy! I've never experienced this with a car. I also experienced a lot of dust in the engine bay after taking some desert roads

Question - has anybody tried adding a gasket or rubber strip to the front inside lip to the hood to prevent all the dirt/rain/snow, etc from getting in?

Also, I'm in the process of drawing up a metal alternator guard to replace the plastic one.....before i go through all trouble, will one from a BRZ or Legacy or WRX fit? I figure there has to be an existing one out there that will work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
158 Posts
I picked up a roll of weather strip from Home Depot tonight. The "tallest" one they had that was self-stick was, 3/8" W, x 7/16" T.

It doesn't seem tall enough. We'll see if it helps at all. I attached it to the underside of the hood, all the way around.

Had anyone else had any luck fabricating some sort of hood seal to keep the salt spray out?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I picked up a roll of weather strip from Home Depot tonight. The "tallest" one they had that was self-stick was, 3/8" W, x 7/16" T.

It doesn't seem tall enough. We'll see if it helps at all. I attached it to the underside of the hood, all the way around.

Had anyone else had any luck fabricating some sort of hood seal to keep the salt spray out?
Just be careful you aren't blocking airflow for cooling or aero. Subaru tests for this stuff, there is a reason for everything. You notice road spray because there's no way to avoid it. I get it badly in my Fozzy when all the garbage mixture on the road starts to thaw off and it just sprays everywhere. Just rinse off your engine every time you rinse off the car, simple. I wouldn't go trying to "seal" the engine bay that needs airflow not only for cooling, but for pressure, circulation, and aerodynamics. I don't think you're going to outthink their engineering teams with some cheap Home Depot weather striping.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts