Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just to note, I've read sea-scooby's project quiet car thread. And this thread is to gather more data and personal experiences from other drivers.

The foz is a bit too loud, too road noise loud.

I drove to the dealer the other day to take care of the fuel valve recall and decided to remove the hatch floor cover and foam containers but left the donut spare tire inside. As soon as i hit the road the road noise level went through the roof. It was as if i was driving with the rear hatch and the rear doors open that it made me pull over to the side and check if the doors were indeed open :mad:

it cant be that loud, right? i mean where does the noise come from? the drive i took were in city roads that reached 50 mph at maximum. I hate to compare cars but i have a 13 year old truck from the east coast (think rust) with hard all terrain tires, torsion bars and leaf spring suspension but the road noise level doesnt even come close to the foz at speed :huh:

Anybody here have a clue if the road noise is coming from the hatch floor or the rear wheel wells? I'd hate to make the mistake of buying resonance deadeners and sound barriers and applying them at the wrong places with little after effects.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Oh and no, dont ask me why i didnt buy a luxury car if i wanted a quiet car. I'm not asking for tomb dead silent just an acceptable/comfortable noise level :biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
448 Posts
Shoulda bought a Lexus! :N_poke:

J/K

The Forester is synonymous with squeaks, rattles, road and wind noise.
If you're really interested you can reduce the overall annoyance to a manageable level, but not quite to what you would expect from a car which was redesigned for MY 2006.
Tires, like the General Altimax HP can definitely help.
Here is a good start:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/road-noise-fixes-1031/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/project-quiet-car-28591/

Subaru Forester Owners Forum - Search Results

·
Registered
2007 Forester
34 Posts
I've silenced mine quite a bit. Tore out the trunk as you did, and applied noise reducing 2mm "asphalt-like self adhesive paper" =). Where the spare wheel is, I also added a more foamish fiber mat. Put everything back, and suddenly I heard noise from the front of the car instead ;-). I guess the backseat passengers where happy at least.

Best regards

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
the only thing that ever really bothered me was the wind noise from the gussets and I (carefully) did the fix where you "pinch" them back together. i used big channel locks.

i have mostly driven wagons or trucks-suvs since driving age and never more luxury cars.

my solution to noise is turn up the (aftermarket) radio! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
the only thing that ever really bothered me was the wind noise from the gussets and I (carefully) did the fix where you "pinch" them back together. i used big channel locks.

i have mostly driven wagons or trucks-suvs since driving age and never more luxury cars.

my solution to noise is turn up the (aftermarket) radio! :biggrin:

hahahaha this is funny because this is exactly what I do. Every time someone complaints about road noise in their car, I always tell them that i am more than happy to fix it for them free off charge. Walk over to thier cars blast the radio all the way, and ask them "dose the road noise bother you now?" lol hahaahahahaha :Banane08:

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shoulda bought a Lexus! :N_poke:

J/K

The Forester is synonymous with squeaks, rattles, road and wind noise.
If you're really interested you can reduce the overall annoyance to a manageable level, but not quite to what you would expect from a car which was redesigned for MY 2006.
Tires, like the General Altimax HP can definitely help.
Here is a good start:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/road-noise-fixes-1031/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/project-quiet-car-28591/

Subaru Forester Owners Forum - Search Results
I currently don't have any squeaks or rattles and the wind noise is minimal. I do have a 2006 so that's one of the reasons why i was expecting some noise insulation after the redesign.

More comfortable and quieter tires are definitely on the list. I just need to finish up the stockers which will still last for a good 2 - 3 years.

Thanks for the links but I've read those more than a few times already before starting this thread :smile:

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've silenced mine quite a bit. Tore out the trunk as you did, and applied noise reducing 2mm "asphalt-like self adhesive paper" =). Where the spare wheel is, I also added a more foamish fiber mat. Put everything back, and suddenly I heard noise from the front of the car instead ;-). I guess the backseat passengers where happy at least.

Best regards
I might actually go buy some more "peel and seal" from lowes to cover up the hatch floors. The ones in my old suv are applied on the doors and so far after 4 years they did not smell/stinked nor started to peel off.

Did the noise coming from the front sound more like engine noise or road noise?

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got a question for you all out there.

there's a wide array of opinions that you do not need to cover every inch of sheet metal you have with a vibration dampener product (dynamat, fatmat, raamat bxt, etc.) since it is not necessary and quite frankly just overkill as a resonant panel needs roughly 25% of covered/applied area to be effectively dampened.

So in comes sound barriers/blockers. I'm thinking of investing more on sound blocking products rather than vibration dampers.

What are your thoughts on this? my concern is blocking road noise from outside the vehicle and not trubk rattle from loud bass. :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts