Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I put my stocks on my bbs goldies I can feel the road a lot more and road noise has increased. :chair: its frustrating

Is this is due to the stock tires being spread out more and are now possibly wearing differently??? If I go with a new tire in the same size will it go away? Or would a wider tire cure the problem? I am satisfied with my ride height just not so much the increased road feel and noise.

Currently running 215/55/17's

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Going from your stock +48 wheels to a +53 wheel gives you a track that is 10mm more narrow. When I ran +55 WRX wheels on my XT it felt more "twitchy" on the road.

The BBS wheels are a 1/2" wider, so maybe that makes for a slightly wider contact patch. More rubber on the ground more noise. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I'd think that the larger contact patch might be the reason. Part of the tire that hasn't been on the road might now be touching. Also, the wider wheels will stretch the tires a bit more giving less sidewall cushion which may play a factor too.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
My RS2's got noisy when worn right down. Last year when I swapped over from winters to the RS2's the noise went up not down.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Hmm well the stocks came from 215/55/17 on a 7" wide rim right? And then you moved it onto BBS, which are 7.5" wide, which, in concurrence with what sea-scooby said, more contact. Wider/a little more stretched out also means that the profile, although still 55, is shorter and we know that thinner profile tires always create more noise. That's my guess anyway.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here I am trying to order some BFgoodrich G-Force Sports from my local tire place "Big Ten Tires". They tell me they wont mount a 225/55/17 tire because it can screw up my AWD system???

Never heard of that before! Not sure where Im going to get my tires now.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
From DT or Tire Rack ? Or just insist to the shop you'll take responsiblity for what you're buying. So long as you mount 4 identical tires it doesn't matter if they are 155/70/14 or 335/30/19's.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From DT or Tire Rack ? Or just insist to the shop you'll take responsiblity for what you're buying. So long as you mount 4 identical tires it doesn't matter if they are 155/70/14 or 335/30/19's.
Ok cool sounds good.

I was going to buy directly from Big 10. 538 mounted for 4 225/55/17 BFGoodrich GT sports.

Also comes with rotations for life etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts