Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Due to a family bereavment over the weekend I have to travel to Birmingham on Sunday.And because my mother refuses to fly its gonna have to be the ferry and motor.

Any body know the road from Holyhead to Birmingham and if so any places to avoid or watch for regular speed traps?

The only bright side to all this is the foz will get a good run!

Many thanks ,

Derek

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
mate, firstly sorry for your loss.

Second watch yourself in north wales, the north welsh traffic police are well known for their revenue generation skills on unsuspecting motorists, and if you coming down the A55 just keep your eyes open for the speed limits as they go up and down like an old pro's knickers, hence why the north welsh poolice are so keen.

One you on the m6, then your okay down to Brum. there are roadworks on the northbound m6 and there inbetween the m42 and m6 and they where a pain the backside on monday.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss D Man.

Spot on with your obs on the N Welsh police mike, even though there's only about three of them! :biggrin:

Good luck with the trip!!

mike

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
A55 is definitely one to watch. Been pulled twice on the way to Anglesey circuit in my van. They take no prisoners!

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Spot on with your obs on the N Welsh police mike, even though there's only about three of them! :biggrin:
Its one of the reasons I will never goto North Wales on Holiday again. we used to goto Portmadog (black rock sands) every weekend, but I got pulled 3 times in one weekend, then again the following weekend and again the weekend after.

I wasnt speeding, nor doing anything dangerous but they pulled me over, same place everytime. Near Conlwy Bay.

So sod them, i'll go elsewhere instead and I know a few people who've done exactly the same. I am sure the north wales traffic wombles will say there cleaning up the roads of North wales to make them safer, well there also driving out the normal people who visit and spend money there :crazy:

and lets not forget raising revenue for the local poolice farce! :shrug:

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
676 Posts
The A5 is a far more interesting road, I live just outside of Birmingham and my GF used to go to Bangor University (north wales) so I used to drive it a couple of times every month. I had to use the A55 instead because of bad weather (the A5 travels straight through Snowdonia) a few times, and it just seemed to go on and on.

The A5 is probably slightly shorter in terms of distance, probably around the same in terms of time.

Thats a good heads up about the radio 1 thing as well, i'm pretty sure it finishes on sunday evening tho so you *should* be ok.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the condolences and advise lads,

Everyone I talk to is warning me about the A55, the feckers must be every where on it!

Update, am going to stay with relations in Schrewsbury now so would it be easier to go A55 then A5 stay with the M6 and come across on the M54??

Any advice welcome!!

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo
149 Posts
Firstly sorry for your loss.

Ok as the boys say bad cops A55. M6 I live by junk11 south from there it’s very slow road works and average speed cameras 50. When traveling from Shrewsbury to B/ham use M54 but to be safe leave at junk 1 Wolverhamption and at roundabout (bottom of slip road) turn left towards Cannock it 40 mph through Featherstone village keep going through lights till you come to M6 junk 11 about 2 miles, you will be turning right at this roundabout so as you pass over look to your right see if it moving, take motorway M6 south. There is one last escape if you have joined the motorway have a good look as you approach the services if its stopping you can leave the motorway through services follow road Till see a no entry road on you left turn left there (if you come to petrol station you have missed it turn around its to way traffic. Drive down no entry to T junction turn right follow road to T junction turn right then follow road to Walsall then Walsall to B/ham.
Depending on which part of B/ham you are going to you can use the M6 TOLL £5.00
If you are going to use TOLL then use instructions above but do not turn right onto M6 south go straight across to Cannock next roundabout sharp left that is the start of Toll road

Hope it helps.

Kevin

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
NWP at one point even had a speed camera hidden in the back of a parked up horse trailer, dont expect to see whatever they catch you with!

Simon

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice lads, im 95% sure im going to take the M6 and M54, It looks longer on the map and sat nav but the A5 looks a lot shorter distance wise but im not sure if it will be a lot slower??

Any one recomened either of these ? Or one to definatly avoid?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts