Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited automatic
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were re-ended (stopped) at a stoplight by an uninsured motorist who's drivers licence was revoked. It did not appear that the person who hit us even slowed down, meaning that the impact would have been around 35-45 MPH.

Fortunately we had uninsured motorist insurance. The insurance company was very good with giving us replacement value. We now have a 2019 Forester.

None of us in the 2015 car were injured.

The frame of the 2015 Forester was deformed by the impact. The passenger side doors would not open. The driver side doors were pushed "open" so that there was an air-gap between the windows and frame.

·
Registered
2017 Outback
113 Posts
Our Foresters have a few quirks but they are safe vehicles. I feel as safe in mine as I do it my wife's Volvo.

·
Registered
277 Posts
crumple zone works! Thats nice to have tested in real life. Thank you for being our subject! Glad everybody is okay.

Also congrats on that 2019 ;)

amazing how physics works tho.. cars back in the day with the steel hard trunk-like frames. all that force would have been on the people inside.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad all are ok. Details on your new 2019?!?
Also congrats on that 2019 ;)
Our 2015 was the Touring model. We went with the 2019 Limited model this time. It did not seem that the 2019 Touring model was worth the extra $$$$. Only two of us now.

After the rental car (Ford Focus) really glad to be back in the Subaru. Drives so much better.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Package 15
404 Posts
@Steve R.

Please tell me they arrest the uninsured motorist and put them in jail, and then please tell me you sue them for six figures. There's a lack of responsibility when you act so callously and then you actually jeopardize the welfare of other people.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Steve R.Please tell me they arrest the uninsured motorist and put them in jail, and then please tell me you sue them for six figures. There's a lack of responsibility when you act so callously and then you actually jeopardize the welfare of other people.
I don't know what happened to the person who hit us. This was all handled by the insurance company, so I did not have any contact with the person who hit us after the accident.

Sorry, but we would have no basis to sue. First, we were not injured. Second, the insurance company made us "whole" by giving us the current value of the car as if it had not been damaged. Unfortunately, the time and effort spent resolving this situation is not reimbursable.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't know what happened to the person who hit us. This was all handled by the insurance company, so I did not have any contact with the person who hit us after the accident.

Sorry, but we would have no basis to sue. First, we were not injured. Second, the insurance company made us "whole" by giving us the current value of the car as if it had not been damaged. Unfortunately, the time and effort spent resolving this situation is not reimbursable.
i like you Steve R.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
651 Posts
A big take away from this incident. Have UNINSURED motorist insurance!!!
Agreed...! So sorry you had to go through this... Who is your insurer? I'm just about to change my provider. A $700 bump over last year and no changes in the policy after a $400 bump the year before when my 83 mom had a small fender bender in her PT Cruiser...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Package 15
404 Posts
@Steve R. -

Okay, a lawsuit probably doesn’t make sense for civil reasons.

But the fact that someone is in willful non compliance with a law (every state requires some form of insurance doesn’t it, whether it be liability or comp or collision)... by driving without required insurance or a suspended license.,.. I hope there’s an actual penalty involved here.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.51 Tourin
84 Posts
I would think at the very least, the other driver would get citations for causing the accident, driving on a revoked license & not having insurance, though if they're irresponsible enough to drive with no license or insurance, they may also ignore tickets, too. But, they might also find there's a warrant out for their arrest for all of this , too, depending on how they handle that stuff where you live.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those asking, about the possible legal consequences of driving with a revoked license and no insurance. The accident happened in Tennessee while visiting relatives. Two very quickie references:

Driving on a Suspended License in Tennessee.

Penalties for Driving Without Insurance in Tennessee

Can't make any evaluation concerning the ethicacy of the websites that I am referencing. But they do outline the possible repercussions.

It is unknown whether the person had priors or not. However, there had to be an underlying reason for why the license was already revoked.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
52 Posts
Dang, that sux!!!

In Texas, insurance carrier can only sell comprehensive coverage (collision and natural disaster) if uninsured motorist coverage is included. About 5yrs ago, I would get full coverage w/o the uninsured motorist. The driving/insurance scene around Houston is really bad. My mom and two brothers got hit by uninsured drivers over the years and it seriously pisses us off.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,650 Posts
Glad this turned out OK. If anything, it seems the insurance company covering you should be able to sue the uninsured motorist. No idea how that works, just makes sense to me. probably not worth it to them.
Sadly, when a low life acts irresponsibly, legal recourse is seldom worth the effort.
You can't get blood from a turnip and it's a fools errand to try to get money from a deadbeat when any recovery won't even cover a filing fee.
The OP can sue for the deductible - Good luck trying to collect it.

There was a guy suing a towing company for having his car crushed the other day.
It was towed because the guy had warrants for 37 traffic violations he didn't bother to show up for, and he had 9 violations for driving on a suspended license. Obviously he didn't need insurance for the crappy car he drove.

Homeless and on welfare, provided you are willing to get an occasional slap on the wrist, you are free to break the law all you want.
The guy in question served all of a couple of weeks, and no doubt when he sells enough crack or robs a liquor store, he'll be back on the road.

About all you can do is to protect yourself with insurance.
Thanks to the scum bag mentioned by the OP, insurance rates will rise for everyone in that area because risk has been raised by the incident.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts