Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.
The first ten years of my working life I was a panel beater which taught me a few tricks , none of which learned me how to not kerb my alloys .from left to right is a small journey.
It was late In the evening and I was asked to move my car across the drive , I was tired and not really paying attention the first pic shows some ugly damage. I coudnt talk about it until I repaired it .

The second pic is the "smart" repair I did , any one who knows me will tell you im a moron in the literal sense.

third pic is the solution to kerb rash (I hope) its a product called Alloygator and it is a knut to fit.
The alloygator comes in a few colours, but because im discreet and a classy type of broad I went for black .

What does the panel think?

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,356 Posts
Nice repair Lockheed. Those rim protectors are a great idea. Fortunately my BFG ATs provide rim protection as part of the tyre.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
801 Posts
As a new member with no authority or credibility on here, I'd say it's a cracking fix. From the photo it looks hard to tell where any of the damage actually was.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,732 Posts
Nice result !

Could you detail how you did the fix please?

How tricky is it to remove and refit those rim protectors when you change tyres etc or are they a 1 time use deal?

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,796 Posts
It does look spot on bud. However your still a moron 😜

Reactions: Lockheed

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right where to start .
I started off with an 80 grit free cut orbital paper disc and folded it in half so it would go in between
the tyre and the wheel , too and fro until the high spots of the aluminium where knocked off .

Then do the same with a 180 disc until the 80 grit scratches are completely removed (you can venture a bit further on to the undamaged area about an inch either side)

You can then do the same with a 320 disc being careful to remove the 180 scratches and now try not to make the repair bigger than it has to be.

then its filler time I would recommend easy sand . a pea sized blob hardener to a golf ball size of filler (you wont need that much scale it down) mix it quickly with long strokes and apply with your filler knife , don't put too much on otherwise you be there forever rubbing it off . oh I forgot to say pull the filler in both directions or you will get to much on one end of the repair.

Then repeat the first 3 steps .

Masking is the tricky part of this so ill try and explain it the best I can.

Masking for primer . Lay down your low tack tape as close to the repair as possible then gently tease up the edges of the tape closest to the repair until half the width of the tape is facing upwards and the other half is still fixed firmly to the job ( obviously mask anything else you don't want to get paint on ) this will create a "soft mask".

for primer I used a zinc based weld thru primer applying in light dusty coats, 3 from memory.
wait ten mins for each coat to dry.

then peel back your tape a bit further to create a soft mask for your top coat.i used tweezers for this .
wait a further ten mins apply top coat (I got lucky with the colour its a ford anthracite from halfords) in the same manor as the primer .
Try resist the urge to put another coat on when it already looks good. I have ****ed up many jobs by doing this.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a new member with no authority or credibility on here, I'd say it's a cracking fix. From the photo it looks hard to tell where any of the damage actually was.
Thanks Ian its not perfect but saved myself £100

1 - 9 of 9 Posts