Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:frown2: This mishap resulted in torn sidewall and the rim got severely gouged in 2 places. Called Subaru roadside assistance 3 hours later the wrecker came by a changed the tire for me. Drove around 150 miles on the spare to get home.

My Fozzi has around 2k on it so besides training the idiot a.k.a myself how to avoid this from happening again....I am now considering cost effective options on fixing the Fozzi. They are:

1. New Falken tire have it shaved to match the rest of the mounted tires.
2. New (haven’t priced yet probably $$$$) or locating a slightly used 2019 touring rim in excellent condition (what’s a good price?).
3. If I can take the TPM from the lunched rim and use on the replacement rim?
4. Do I need to replace the specialty spare tire?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
1. Are your other 3 tires Falken tires? If so, then that would make sense.

2. Not sure about the price, but this is a good idea.

3. You should be able to reuse the TPM as long as it isn't damaged.

4. This I do not know, but I don't think so, unless it is damaged now?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a used rim on eBay for ~$180 plus ~$48 shipping. I offered $150 and countered vendor $160. Is the shipping a fair price or is there some negotiation here? The seller is in CA and I am in FL?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Found a used rim on eBay for ~$180 plus ~$48 shipping. I offered $150 and countered vendor $160. Is the shipping a fair price or is there some negotiation here? The seller is in CA and I am in FL?
The wheels are notoriously expensive to ship because of weight and size.

As far as the Falken tires go, make sure the tire shop knows what they are doing with the shaving of the new tread.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wouldn't worry about shaving tread, the difference in tire rolling OD or rolling circumference is likely less than a slight change in psi would make on other days. If huge difference, then your's are wore out anyway. Before I'd pay for shaving good tread, I'd just buy two tires and replace other on same axle.

You do know that the front tires always cover more distance anyway because they are steer tires and always track a larger arc when turning … or do you not? Point being, there is never a 100% correlation between front and rear axle speeds or rpms and never 100% same even between tires on same axle as one tire is on inside of every turn, air pressure, even bumpier left track of a lane leads to that tire going further in a given travel distance.

As long as same tire designation, size, etc, it'll be OK.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I agree with the others who suggest that you may not need to shave the new tire. With only 2k miles I can't imagine that your remaining three tires are worn more than 1/32 if even that. When I had a similar problem because of an unrepairable rock-cut tire, I called several Subaru service departments about how much tread difference was acceptable. Some said 2/32 and some said 3/32.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to the dealership service advisor.

His advise:
Have to use same brand and model.
The new tire comes with 10/32” (5/16” in my world 😀) thickness of thread.
Where shaving comes into play is at or below 6/32” (3/16” 😄).
He says with 2K of wear I should be at 8/32”.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You do know that the front tires always cover more distance anyway because they are steer tires and always track a larger arc when turning … or do you not? Point being, there is never a 100% correlation between front and rear axle speeds or rpms and never 100% same even between tires on same axle as one tire is on inside of every turn, air pressure, even bumpier left track of a lane leads to that tire going further in a given travel distance.

As long as same tire designation, size, etc, it'll be OK.
Your point is taken 👏🏻. The only hope of maybe getting close to parity on a set of tires. Is keeping the alignment good, keeping tire pressure at correct levels, Rotate them at the right service levels in addition high speed balance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Rim hunting. The dealers down here want $392 to $393 plus tax. Found a slightly used one on eBay bid and counter bid got for $155 + $48 shipping. Looking at tire prices for the Falken and the exact tire price is $108 + free shipping I leaning toward that...however one guy in forum has a set but his price is high and I asked him if he wants to reconsider!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered a new same tire got a discount and get installation, balance included at a local tire store. All for for 127 bucks with tax included and environment tire fee. Can’t complain Tire Rack wanted $165 +?. Looking at the punctured tire and see its 2-ply polyester + steel belted...I think I see why other owners dump them quickly and buy another set of tires.

Wondering if the tire store who will install and balance them would pull some crap over swapping the old TPMS and tell me I must buy a new one...Wondering how hard to remove from old rim and place in new rim myself?

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hit a curb similar to the OP last year. No apparent damage but a few thousand miles later the CV joint on that wheel is making clicking and grinding noises on right turns. So be prepared to replace CV joint also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are several companies like https://www.hubcaphaven.com that are a good source of rims too. I'd be inclined to go that route vs eBay. TPMS sensors can easily be swapped from one rim to another and I think my local tire shop charged $6 each to do. I've had it done with three sets of wheels, so 12 sensors being remounted, with no problems. Asking your dealer where they get rims repaired is another good option. There are plenty of people who run mobile wheel repair businesses and most dealers have a working relationship with at least one to fix road rashed rims on trade ins.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looked into having the gashed road rashed rim fixed. The cost to fix it ranges from machining gouged area and fix road rash $150 to just no machining fixing it for $100. I leaning to fixing it myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts