Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew it was coming but looks to have gotten urgent. It use to make a sound like the wheel out of balance but has become a grinding sound. Hopefully if I get it to a repair shop ASAP I am not looking at a hub but I would like to ask where and what parts, besides the bearing itself if any, will be needed for a '99 rear passenger side wheel bearing? I would just like to see if I can acquire the parts myself without having to rely on the shop to charge me a arm and a leg.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I had been doing some reading on here about the problem and I thought that it may be too far gone. Besides, I was beginning to think that I just prefer to get the hub anyway. How do I go about getting a hub and will it come with the bearing? I assume a used hub? Is it something I can do myself if it just means taking the hub off and on without any special pullers? If it means putting in new bearings on top of a new hub . . . oh sh**!

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh dang, I am not very knowledgeable about my parts. Ok, so the hub goes inside the bearing which is possibly now grinding. :icon_frown: And so on top of replacing the bearings I need the hub too. I was thinking that I was going to look into replacing the spindle (what I meant earlier) which I hear some do as a easier fix to trying to go through all of the heart ache of taking it off then fretting over the proper treatment of bearing replacement. As to whether the shop it is taken to uses the special tools that are not hydraulic. I was personally thinking of using NAPA. Sounds much much more affordable but from what I understand then you have to fret over did they miss align it thus cause a new problem with messing up the spindle and causing premature bearing failure.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh screw it, I am going to have to bite the bullet, if I had time off I would try to save a couple of hundred but I am working too much right now to find the time. Anyone have a recommendation for a repair shop near Durham North Carolina? Closest big town near me, figure there has to be a good shop there.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh snap! I just talked to a guy who use to work at a dealership and pieced together much of this puzzle. He said that the bearings that you order today for the Forester are Legacy bearings. I was confused and thinking from what I had been reading that you actually had to buy a Legacy specified bearing. Next he said that yes there were technical bulletins that specified using a special tool but that he used a press until they sent him the tools. It was just of up most importance that a flat press is not used in that it will cause pressure on the inner part of the bearing, which is bad, but instead pressure should only be exerted on the outer part of the bearing. So using like a tube the same diameter or he even said that he would use the old bearing to line it up . . . ? It looks like I am back on track with taking the axle housing off and taking it to NAPA. I talked to the machine guy there who said it shouldn't be a problem. I will just convey to him what I have just found out. I am looking at getting my parts from SubaruPartsForYou.com.

Wheel bearing kit includes bearing and three seals $99.00
http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=11690

Hub (incase I need it which is likely) $95.00
http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=3265

Now, can I get that darn long bolt out? I have a Honda XR250 and they are really bad for the suspension bolt freezing up. Read many horror stories. Persistence and soaking with PB Blaster seems effective, didn't have much trouble with mine but at least I feel like I am familiar on some level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts