Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace the worn out Dunlops on the wifey's Mazda MPV so I have been doing some serious tire research. To some degree I have narrowed it down to either the Falken Ziex ZE-512 or the Kuhmo Solus KH-16. Her tire size is as odd as our Forester oem tire size being that hers is 215/60/17 which is just 1" larger in wheel diameter. Since there are limited tire choices in that size I am either going to go with a 225/55/17 which drops the speed to 59mph when the speedo reads 60mph or I can also go with a 235/55/17 which puts the speed at 60mph when the speedo reads 60mph. I have a greater selection in the 225/55/17 where the 235/55/17 is somewhat limited but there are some good options. I have read many reviews on various sites but I cannot fully convince myself on a tire. I have read many Falken reviews where people either like em or hate em. The kuhmos on the other hand have had less negative reviews. I have also looked into Good Year Tripletreds, Toyo Proxes TPT, Michelin Hydroedge, & Cooper lifeliner sle. At this point Falken is my 1st choice with Kuhmo coming in 2nd. I know some of you guys are riding on the ZE-512's so I want to hear your thoughts. If anyone is riding on the the other tires I mentioned please let me hear what you have to say as well.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
I have the ZE-512s on my Honda Civic...have not been able to make them squeal before I do...don't think they wear very well (PM Pleiad, she's wore them out pretty fast) though.
What are you looking for in a tire? Handling? Wear? All-season running? Hydroplaning resistance? No one tire does these ALL best. Every tire brand negotiates its compromises.
-Quick

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
Have a set on my dad's Mark8-great tire so far, quiet decent handler, low rolling resistance and cheap.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I like the tires, they look good and have really good dry grip. I have yet to break them loose in the dry yet. In the wet they are just a tad better than the Geosquealers IMO. They feel about the same in the snow compared to the Geo's. I have not hydroplanned yet

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
Jami,

I'm in the same boat; my wife's MPV's tires are crap! I think she has around 25K on them and they are shot. Trust me, she doesn't abuse the car at all. I'm thinking about the Goodyear Triple Treads as a front-runner. Those 215/60/17s are a weird size. Maybe I should consider the Falkens too.

LMK what you decide; I'll be replacing her tires in about 2 months.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
I am riding on the 512s at the moment. For an A/S tire, the 512s are pretty good. My tire has even wear after 15K miles and decent for a treadwear rating of 360. I had the Yoko YK420 previous to the 512s and prefer the Falkens over the YK420s A/S high performance tire. My only gripe about the 512s are the soft walls. However, I don't complain about it on a long trip because the soft wall results to a more comfortable ride.

From my ownership, I have to say the 512s exceeds my expectation when its wet out. The wet performance is far better than its dry performance. This is expected out of an A/S tire though. For an A/S tire, I will buy them again if the Avon Tech 550 A/S weren't available in the US but they are now. I have heard only good things about Avons and willing to give the Avon Techs 550 a try for an A/S. If not, Falken it is. I am still in the mist of deciding A/S or dedicated summer tires though and that's a whole other story.

As for the Kuhmos Solus KH-16, I don't think you can really compare it against the 512s. For one, the KH-16s are Touring tires and the 512s are high performance. Both are all season tires but there is a difference why one is Touring and the other isn't.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Strange how you think the 512s do so well in the rain, maybe cause i have the H-rated ones?
I find they kinda suck in the wet/rain

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
jbleee said:
Strange how you think the 512s do so well in the rain, maybe cause i have the H-rated ones?
I find they kinda suck in the wet/rain
Slow down. :wink: Any tire can hydroplane with enough standing water. The speed rating probably has nothing to do with the wet performance.

However, I have to say Portland, OR has a very poorly design freeway system. Where the heck are the drainage on most of the freeways there?! Did the designers expect the water to magically seep through the concrete? I spend a good deal of time in Portland because I have a lot of family. Anytime it rains in Portland, there's a river every where you turn. One reason I don't like Portland. No offense. :)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Quicksilver said:
I have the ZE-512s on my Honda Civic...have not been able to make them squeal before I do...don't think they wear very well (PM Pleiad, she's wore them out pretty fast) though.
Wasn't me... never tried the 512's. I've been running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ever since the car was new. :wink:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
tre36 said:
Slow down. :wink: Any tire can hydroplane with enough standing water. The speed rating probably has nothing to do with the wet performance.

However, I have to say Portland, OR has a very poorly design freeway system. Where the heck are the drainage on most of the freeways there?! Did the designers expect the water to magically seep through the concrete? I spend a good deal of time in Portland because I have a lot of family. Anytime it rains in Portland, there's a river every where you turn. One reason I don't like Portland. No offense. :)
You must be driving harder in the dry than me then, and i must be driving harder in the wet/rain than you?

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
jbleee said:
You must be driving harder in the dry than me then, and i must be driving harder in the wet/rain than you?
I agree with Tre- the 512's have decent traction in the rain. Driving hard in the rain? That's really a no-no. I'd hate to hear about that new grill decorating the back of a civic or something.

The 512's were not bad in the snow when new but they wear pretty fast. For a minivan I'd look for a longer wearing tire with similar traction and temperature ratings.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I ran the 512s on my Rotas before I got my Pirellis (higher profile and wider). They were Z rated and were awesome in the rain. They never squealed on dry unless you pushed them over the limits where normal tires will squeal. I thought they were great tires and weren't too noisy. Only reason I got rid of them was b/c they were 225/45 and I couldn't stand the huge wheel well gap.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So Will, you have 235/55/17 Pirellis? What are they, P Zero Nero M+S?
How are they? I was also considering the Pirelli PZN M+S in 235/55/17 since the Tirerack has them for $106 a piece. After reading reviews I didn't find myself convinced in buying them. Besides, for her van I probably need to go with a touring type tire that is comfy, quiet, and can provide a longer tread life. Right now I am %85 sure I will be getting the Kuhmo Solus KH-16 in 235/55/17. I appreciate everyones input into this. DeclansDad, I will let you know how it goes so you can have an idea of what to do with your MPV.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
yelnats_J said:
So Will, you have 235/55/17 Pirellis? What are they, P Zero Nero M+S?
How are they? I was also considering the Pirelli PZN M+S in 235/55/17 since the Tirerack has them for $106 a piece. After reading reviews I didn't find myself convinced in buying them. Besides, for her van I probably need to go with a touring type tire that is comfy, quiet, and can provide a longer tread life. Right now I am %85 sure I will be getting the Kuhmo Solus KH-16 in 235/55/17. I appreciate everyones input into this. DeclansDad, I will let you know how it goes so you can have an idea of what to do with your MPV.
Everything is great about them except certain surfaces textures will create noise...but that is why you have a stereo, right?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I've got 225/60-16 Ze-512s on another car. They are one of the best performing M+S tires out there, but they are wearing fast. If I get 30k miles, I'll be lucky.

Ducktapeguy has the same exact tires on his Forester. So PM him if you are still interested in the Falkens.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Wasn't me... never tried the 512's. I've been running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ever since the car was new. :wink:
My bad!
Must be the Michelin's you said you were wearing fast? (from what I can gather, you pretty much 'explore the envelope' of tire wear?
-Quick
PS:Yelnats_J- Absolute tire mileage may not be the best measure...I am currently thinking that the mileage per dollar value is very good...low initial cost makes them pretty attractive.

·
Administrator
29,456 Posts
Quicksilver said:
My bad!
Must be the Michelin's you said you were wearing fast? (from what I can gather, you pretty much 'explore the envelope' of tire wear?
-Quick
Yeah... although it depends on your definition fast wear. My current set of Michelins has been through all kinds of abuse including countless floggings through the twisties, hundreds and hundreds of miles of gravel and washboard roads, a rally-x, and an auto-x at Rim of the World Rally last year, to name a few things. It's true that the softer compound on the outer edges tends to wear fast under hard driving, but as long as you are religiously rotating the tires and always keep them at proper inflation, they actually wear very evenly all around. I thought for sure they would be due for replacement sometime this winter, but here it is almost March and they're still kicking. At over 30k miles they still haven't reached the wear bars, and although they've started to tramline a little more than before, their traction is still unbeatable, not to mention their uncanny ability to move water and provide grip in wet conditions. I really can't praise them enough... :smile:

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT '05 6mt r180 Carbonetics 1.5w lsd
1,094 Posts
pleiad7 said:
At over 30k miles they still haven't reached the wear bars, and although they've started to tramline a little more than before, their traction is still unbeatable, not to mention their uncanny ability to move water and provide grip in wet conditions. I really can't praise them enough... :smile:
So, will you replace them with the same kind when it's time to get new one's?

·
Administrator
29,456 Posts
frogmonk said:
So, will you replace them with the same kind when it's time to get new one's?
I've been going back and forth on tire choices for months now, simply because I'm not sure I'll be in a position to afford another set of the Michelins when my current ones wear out. I've considered the Kumho Ecsta ASX and the Avon Tech M550 A/S, only to find myself ogling another set of the Michelins. I just don't trust that there is another A/S tire out there that can even hold a candle to them. :(

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Silke,have you ever tried Toyo's? I am riding on PX 4's and I feel like you do regarding the Michelins. Great grip both dry and wet, very quiet, comfy for a Z rated tire, tread is wearing good for 8K miles, they are predictable and very seldom break lose under hard cornering. I have encountered understeer but take a little off the throttle and you can get back on track. Now I have never had a set of high performance summer tires but I can say that these Toyos are the best A/S I have ever come across. On the other hand, I am still on the fence about my wifes tires. Even though her MPV is no sports car it was the best handling minivan of those we test drove. At the time we purchased it, the MPV was considered the best handling minivan on the market and as far as I know it still is. I just don't want to compromise ride & noise comfort for a handling tire nor do I want to compromise handling for a mushy, comfortable, yet quiet tire. See what I am getting at? Man this shouldn't be so hard. If the Toyo's were offered in her size I would be all over them. I am still considering the P Zero Nero M + S but I think it might be performance overkill on her van.
The Falkens may still be the ticket but I am wondering just how well the Kuhmo ASX or Solus is. Only one way to find out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts