Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester STI 2006 USDM sti 6 m/t DCCD pro
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding prodrive springs on sti take off. Would like to raise the height a bit. Any clue ?

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
I'm on RCE Blacks, but I didn't do measurements to the fender. If the weather is nice tomorrow, maybe I'll get it done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wish I had the comparison by the same user. My wheels are bigger : 245-40-19 and just wonder how tight it will be... The Prodrive front spring are pretty low...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:icon_eek: Pictures? What brand wheels, how heavy?

Stan
click on my gallery, ROJA wheels, 19x8" not sure of the offset but it's wide. Gallery pictures shows 235/35-19 tires. The matching forester size was 235-40-19. I opted for a little taller tires Nitto INVO. I like it a lot ! Very smooth tire, low noise, great side wall, good under rain... The 245-40-19 was most common and available. I didn't put my summer suspension back, I'll have to roll rear fender and put some camber bolts.

pics to come, and BTW got my s2000 projectors installed, sweeet!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Cheapest way to raise it would be with strut spacers. Stiffer springs may come with a penalty of stiffer ride, I'm on 18s that weigh under 18lbs, 45 profile tires and OEM STi springs and it's still too harsh for me.. could be the roads, I guess. Prodrives were even harsher, RCE Wagons were brutal.

Stan

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Cheapest way to raise it would be with strut spacers. Stiffer springs may come with a penalty of stiffer ride, I'm on 18s that weigh under 18lbs, 45 profile tires and OEM STi springs and it's still too harsh for me.. could be the roads, I guess. Prodrives were even harsher, RCE Wagons were brutal.

Stan
imo struts make more of a difference on the harshness. I have wrx takeoffs and they were great when lower mileage, but have gotten incredibly harsh as they've worn out.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Gotta give measurements from axle to fender to compare with different tire sizes. 245/40-19 is an inch taller than stock.

The 14" range is best for handling.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
imo struts make more of a difference on the harshness. I have wrx takeoffs and they were great when lower mileage, but have gotten incredibly harsh as they've worn out.
Agreed. My Konis have always been this way though, I doubt they are shot yet. The ride is much nicer on 17s with 50 profile tire, which is why I want to switch to some light 17" wheels.

I'll measure my height if you want, I forget what it is.. it's at least 14" fender to axle though, either 14" or 14 1/2". You should be pretty close to that with the Prodrive springs.

Stan

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Gotta give measurements from axle to fender to compare with different tire sizes. 245/40-19 is an inch taller than stock.

The 14" range is best for handling.
I don't think the 245/40/19 will fit very well lowered much. My 215/65/16 (inch taller than stock, but skinny) rubbed all over the fender liners and the back of the fender (on the other side of the dead pedal) just on wrx takeoffs.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I agree. My point was it isn't even close to stock diameter. 245/35-19 is the right 19" size. Not that I recommend 19" wheels for performance...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I surely not riding the 19" for performance as i'm at 1" from a dub car... I'll put a set of 16" compomotive + hoosier to kick donkey on track believe me. The forester on 19 inches looks like to be on steroides, and this is the way I receive thumbs up from peoples... I'm defenitly looking to get ride of those 40 profile, but the ride is so smooth and confortable... 235-35-19 were so harsh and so easy to scratch and rash... WRX take-off is pretty soft and can't handle the 25 lbs 19" wheels. Stay tuned, I'll drop the car soon. I've started to roll the rear fender... and got a set of 225-45-17 in back up... By the way, at 75mph rev is going 200 rpm lower...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bumping an old tread! And yes the 19 inches wheeels are gone and 17" are back. I will defenitly remove the prodrive springs and try the RCE black springs.

Searching some infos on that setup... I'm also thinking of getting the oem spring sti back with saggy spacers...

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
The RCE blacks are stiffer and I don't think they are progressive like the Prodrives. Prodrives are a bit too short/soft in the front IMO, another 1/2" would be perfect. I'm sure you'll like the blacks, but I doubt it would raise the car at all.

Stan

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The RCE blacks are stiffer and I don't think they are progressive like the Prodrives. Prodrives are a bit too short/soft in the front IMO, another 1/2" would be perfect. I'm sure you'll like the blacks, but I doubt it would raise the car at all.

Stan
Exactly, I need at least 1/2" on the front. The back Prodrive is perfect in height at my tast. Would you suggest other brand springs... I might be tempted with the Stance Forester specific coil over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts