Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just seem that my '18 Forester feels more "solid" than my '22. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ride of my '22 though.

Now my '18 is an XT but I doubt that has anything to do with it. I would attribute it to the heavier (added) stabilizer and possibly the Global Platform made the ride more "tame". Now I also have Michelin CrossClimate 2's on but again that would not make it a more solid ride.
The XT's is my wife's and when I mentioned I might want trade her, she made it very clear that would not happen...She absolutely hates learning to drive a different vehicle. When we got rid of her 2008 forester, she had panic attacks (almost) switching to the'18 and now she is attached to it.

· Registered
2023 Sport
325 Posts
My experience is exactly the opposite between my '18 Limited and '23 Sport.
The Global platform of the '23 is much tighter (less body lean and flex) than the '18.
Both had 18" wheels and the same size tires.
They feel like two entirely different vehicles.

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
310 Posts
My 15 Premium is not quite as good as my 22 Wilderness also I think tires can make a big difference in the ride.

· Registered
2022 Forester Sport
757 Posts
My experience is exactly the opposite between my '18 Limited and '23 Sport.
The Global platform of the '23 is much tighter (less body lean and flex) than the '18.
Both had 18" wheels and the same size tires.
They feel like two entirely different vehicles.
Same experience. My wife traded her '17 Premium for a '22 Sport. The '22 quality and ride are far superior to her '17.

I hated driving/riding in her '17. The '22 is much more enjoyable to drive.

· Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
2,342 Posts
I can't compare SJ to SK but recently I got to drive a 2019 SK, and not sure if it was the 18'' winter tires but I found it floaty and less glued to the ground than my 2011 SH model whose suspension has been pretty much renewed. The Nokian winter tires on mine vs the Sailun winter's on the SK may account for some of that.

· Premium Member
16,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect that the rear stabilizer bar I added and the fact that it is an XT makes the difference in my opinion.

· Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
316 Posts
The '18 XT springs are probably stiffer than the '22 limited.

Keep in mind that '14 - '18 XT has a "Sport tuned" suspension. The springs are 10% stiffer in the front and 20% stiffer in the rear as compared to the non-XT models. Reference cars101.com.

· Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
907 Posts
I suspect that the rear stabilizer bar I added and the fact that it is an XT makes the difference in my opinion.
There's a reason the WRX RSB mod is so popular among SJ owners, XT and NA alike. I frequently work in the Kansas City area and there are some notorious freeway off-ramps and interchanges that abruptly transition into a sharp curve. In my '17 they can feel a bit tipsy unless you quickly slow down. About a year ago I had a '21 Forester loaner on one of these trips and it felt much more planted going over some of those same ramps.

Other than that, the ride quality between the two generations is pretty similar IMHO. My '17 is starting to feel slightly bouncy at times, but I suspect that is the result of original struts with 113K on them.

· Premium Member
16,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The '18 XT springs are probably stiffer than the '22 limited.

Keep in mind that '14 - '18 XT has a "Sport tuned" suspension. The springs are 10% stiffer in the front and 20% stiffer in the rear as compared to the non-XT models. Reference cars101.com.
I guess you nailed it. And then add the heavier rear stabilizer.
It just rides "better" And I knew it was not my imagination. I think I did good not waiting for the'19 Global Platform to come out since the CT was going away. But again the '22 is a great stable ride.

· Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
316 Posts
Tires have a lot to do with how a car rides as well, both objectively and subjectively.

A small change in sidewall stiffness, tread pattern or compound can drastically alter how much vibration gets transmitted to the driver, how the car feels as weight is transferred during initial turn-in while cornering, etc.

As they say, tires are the number one improvement one can make to a vehicle. It can be subtle and hard to describe. Sometimes "It just rides better" is because of a better, or more suitable tire given the conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts