Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2019 forester sport have a rev limiter that would kick in while driving in manual mode?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
I have not tried this on my Sport, but I wonder if the CVT will shift past a certain RPM if no upshift is made; approaches redline and system automatically shifts from 1st to 2nd.
My old car years ago did that.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I “wonder” also… That’s why I am asking the question. I don’t have the forester yet so I can’t test it out. No mention of revel limiter in the users manual. I agree, it should have one, but then they should also mention it in the users manual.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
366 Posts
I can't speak for the 2019 but on my 2017 XT it depends which shift mode you're in. When in manual mode in S (sport) or I (intelligent) it will upshift if you hit redline. But in S# (sport sharp) it just boinces off the rev limiter, which I always hated in other cars. Very annoying.

Either way, it will do something to protect itself.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Maxwedge Thanks, that’s the info I was looking for. I guess I’ll assume they kept it that way for 2019, even though it’s not the turbo engine. Do you happen to know how they implement the rev limiter? Do they simply cut fuel to the engine, or knock out spark to a couple cylinders, or what? Still strange they don’t mention it in the users manual, so that when somebody unfamiliar with Rev limiters accidentally hits the limiter and the engine power dies, they don’t panic and think they’ve blown the engine… :surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
366 Posts
As PearlWhite said, all modern cars have a rev-limiter. I don't know the mechanics of it but in my XT it feels like every other modern car, truck and motorcyle that I've had. It "bounces" off the redline. "VrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM - burr-burr-burr-burr-burr-burr till you let off the gas or shift. It doesn't feel like anything is blowing up or shutting down.... It's a very definite "Hey, stop that" from the car.

·
Registered
359 Posts
@Maxwedge Thanks, that’s the info I was looking for. I guess I’ll assume they kept it that way for 2019, even though it’s not the turbo engine. Do you happen to know how they implement the rev limiter? Do they simply cut fuel to the engine, or knock out spark to a couple cylinders, or what? Still strange they don’t mention it in the users manual, so that when somebody unfamiliar with Rev limiters accidentally hits the limiter and the engine power dies, they don’t panic and think they’ve blown the engine… :surprise::surprise::surprise:
With all due respect I haven't driven a car without a rev limiter since like 1985. Every car has them built into the electronics. Not sure why they'd need to put this in the manual. It would be like telling you to push the break to stop. It's just assumed since that's how they've always been (30+ years). Also I'm assuming they don't want to tell you "It's OK to abuse the crap out of this vehicle by holding the gas to the floor since it will protect itself". They probably don't want the liability just in case you blow the engine.

Why don't you just try it out. Mash the gas to the floor and watch it bounce off the rev limit that way you won't be surprised and think you've blown your engine when it happens by mistake.

As another poster said it will also most likely upshit automatically to protect itself, all my other vehicles have. I just haven't tried it with my Forester since I never drive it in manual mode other then downshifting with the paddle shifters to slow it down a hill. Except for hill breaking I see no reason to drive a 184hp SUV with a CVT in manual mode as it's kind of pointless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@glassetcher Just read this in the owners manual today. Sport sharp mode does not limit or force a shift. It will however cut fuel (or moderate) to the engine in order to protect itself if the revs get too high.

·
Registered
359 Posts
@glassetcher Just read this in the owners manual today. Sport sharp mode does not limit or force a shift. It will however cut fuel (or moderate) to the engine in order to protect itself if the revs get too high.
Thanks.. Didn't remember seeing that in there but I did read the entire manual 6 months ago.

PDF manual page 314.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
486 Posts
Thanks.. Didn't remember seeing that in there but I did read the entire manual 6 months ago.

PDF manual page 314.
Took me 6 months to read the manual........without all the warnings probably would have been two hours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts