Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI SG9 MT6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I know there has been some threads about this similar topic, but I was hoping to hear how other people would go around solving this issue. I have some ideas, but if a smarter solution can be found then I'd be quite happy to hear of it.

Why?
Projectors need to be installed because the light pattern is wrong. And it's nigh impossible to find right-hand traffic headlights for SG-5 series in Europe.

What?
Ahron Mini D2S 3.0 Twin-kit is probably going to be a decent enough solution, as I can use the existing ballast and connectors.
https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/hid-projector-kit/bi-xenon-mini-d2s-30-twin-kit-2.html

How?
And how indeed? I am going to have to grind those bolt holes, so that the provided fitting rings can actually fit there. However, I was thinking that maybe that's (almost*) the only thing I am going to have to grind or cut here, since the lower jaw infront of the reflector hole provides a surprisingly decent support for the projector. There are two additional issues here however, the fitting is so tight that the silicone ring provided is going to be of questionable value, as it seems to fit far worse with it than without it. Rear of the reflector is asymmetrical, and is going to be even more assymetrical if and when I grind those bolt-holes. Meaning that even the provided fitting ring is probably going to be of a rather questionable value.

How would you go around installing this?

Personally, I was thinking that epoxy weld might work best here. Preliminary testing seems indicate that the headlight and projector will indeed fit inside the headlight housing without any problems, so really, there is no need for further cutting.

*The other issue is going to be the projector shroud, however, that is a secondary issue as shroud isn't all that critical part, and can be replaced far easier if things don't go according to plan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI SG9 MT6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh well, got one projector fitted. I'm probably going to write a proper post, with proper pictures with the second projector. Although, the process essentially boils down to "dremel until it fits & aligns loosely, sand it, clean it, then glue it together with epoxy putty to fix it in place, align, wait until putty sets properly, then start epoxying it properly."

At this point, I ended up using two different "liquid" epoxy-solutions due to variations in temperature ratings found in these solutions. One is supposed to be good for -51C to + 121C, another one is supposed to be good for -30C to + 150C.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts