Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been reading an interesting post on pills for stock BCS but modified or replaced turbos. It seems some people removed their pills and were having trouble with achieving high enough boost but one of the posters experimented with re-inserting OEM pills with positive results. I have replaced my TF035 with a TD04L and an EBS and am having some boost issues. I replaced all my hoses but I still have the old ones with the pill in them. Anyone have any views on putting the pill inline between the turbo manifold and the boost solenoid?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,798 Posts
I'm still running a TD04 "pill" with my hybrid and 3 port boost solenoid.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Don. I'm using a Harvey Smith EBS with a 3 port solenoid. Is your pill in the line from the solenoid to the turbo manifold?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Don. I thought I had a 3 port solenoid but judging from your picture, not so. The third port on mine, that runs to the "turbo inlet" on yours, vents to atmosphere and has a mesh grill over that opening. I see where the pill is though, I will try that during the week and see what happens. Ta.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that's the same cofiguration mine has, with the vent. Tried the pill in the line from the compressor outlet , no good. The boost spiked at around 3k and went pretty well straight into fuel cut so I lowered the boost level and the rest of it was just, well, dull. The non pill pipe was re-installed on the side of the road (well on the turbo actually) and it was ok coming home. I also replaced the MAF and while it's hard to say on a short blast, I think overall it seemed more linear than before. I think I may have some issues with the way the actuator is set because some of the symptoms I have sound a lot like boost creep from what I have read on the forum, so I guess that's next on the todo list. Thanks as always Don.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT limited AT
10 Posts
Hold post to the top!
I juste baught all vacuum hose around the turbo td04, at my local dealer..
But the assembly of the hose look like the restrictor pill hose is too small...
Du i have to remove it and put it in a longer hose? ..damn

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have a look at the link below. The intake should be in the line marked "13" with the annotation "1" midway down the pipe. On the older SF the pipe containing the pill is actually shorter than that one and it's entirely possible they've given you the wrong parts but it's not a big deal. I'm sure they will replace it if it is wrong but if that's a PITA, buy some silicone pipe, because it's flexible, of the same size and make the pipe containing the pill. The pill can be pushed out with something like a barbeque stick.

The second link is for the 02-07 XT in right hand drive but if yours is a LHD, just back track and change it. A good resource for locating part numbers, seeing where things go and also for cross referencing components with other Subaru models.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/fore...take_and_supply_system_turbocharger/air_duct/

http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/en_s11/type_20/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts