Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 XT and about 9 months ago the audible chirp simply stopped chirping but the lights flashed when remotely locking or unlocking. About 3 - 4 weeks ago the lights stopped flashing yet the doors lock and unlock remotely.

Anyone have any ideas? Don't much care about the chirp but would at the very least get the flashing restored.

:shrug:

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
MickeyRC,

I have a couple ideas, I'm not sure if they are correct though. :biggrin:

The chirper on my 07 FXT stopped working and it seems a good number of the impreza's (04+) have similar issues. Here's a thread on nasioc that has posts on people fixing them themselves. I was able to get mine fixed under warranty. Before it stopped chirping at all, it started sounding really really weird.

The lights stopping flashing might mean you have it in valet mode. Here's another thread from nasioc about the factory alarm/keyless entry system.

Personally I perfer only to have the lights flash and no chirp sound, so that's the way I have it setup (information on how to do this is in the factory alarm thread).

Good Luck and let us know how it works out for you.

dm

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The steps from the NOSIOC boards below corrected both probems:

My exterior lights no longer flash when I lock/unlock with the remote:

The vehicle is in VALET MODE
**Make sure the alarm is disarmed.
**Open the drivers side door.
**Press and hold unlock on the remote until the security light on the dash stops flashing.

NOTE: To put back in VALET MODE, repeat the above steps.

The horn no longer beeps/chirps when I lock/unlock the car:

**Make sure all the doors, windows, trunk and hood are closed.
**Disarm the alarm.
**Press and hold BOTH buttons on the remote until the horn/chirp sounds.

NOTE: To turn the beep/chirp back off, repeat the steps above.

Thanks DM I really appreciate it. I too prefer the lights to the chirp but wasn't sure if there was a bigger issue brewing.

Thanks again,
Mickey

:woohoo:

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
MickeyRC,

Glad you got it worked out. Stick around here, there's ton's of great information and great people here.

dm

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Sorry to revive a dead thread but what is the purpose of valet mode? I've heard that it cuts boost but I'm not sure.. Car's going to a new shop tomorrow and I don't want them smashing around in it while it's there and was hoping valet mode could be a little bit of assurance that my car won't explode if they drive it.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
The stock security valet mode does NOT cut boost. It only alows a different key to be used to open the vehicle. This key does not have access to the trunk and glove box I believe. Not very useful for a wagon or FXT, but maybe useful for a sedan with a seperated trunk.

Valet mode is useful for your vehicle when your floating it on a ferry to keep the alarm (motion sensor) from going off all the time.

dm

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
Thank you very much! So it essentially turns off the alarm?
That and has a different key that only works the doors. If we had sedans, the trunk would be off limits and the glove box I believe.

I have read about Cobb AP's that have a "valet" map that limits the boost. This might have been what you were thinking about.

dm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts