Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought over my morning coffee... For people responding to a many-years-old thread, would it be possible to provide the respondent a brief note before they continue? Something like "The thread you're responding to is 15 years old. The original participants may be unable to respond. (or deceased :))" This seems to happen mostly with new members. The note might make for a better first experience.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,001 Posts
We do encourage keeping related information together for ease of searching. So if one's response to an old thread provides amplifying information that could still be valid or seeks further interpretation of what's already there, then go for it. Responses aren't directed solely at the member who started the thread but at all participants and at subsequent observers.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,360 Posts
@boureesub if a member refuses to read the forum posting rules... like reading their Owner's Manual, not a whole lot we can do...

Posting to an existing thread is preferred, as noted here:
Specifically under the "General Posting Guidelines:
3. Whenever possible, post a reply to an existing thread vs. starting a new one. Like threads may be merged without notice.
I've noticed many posters post to an old thread to add to the information there, not just to ask for help. Nothing wrong with that, as it could help the next member coming across that thread on a forum search.

The other reason member's post to old threads is out of desperation... they need help NOW & they don't know where to post or no one is responding to their thread.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely agree with all your points. I wasn't suggesting a message that would discourage any of the things mentioned above. I was thinking more of an informative courtesy message visible only to the person when they initially elect to post. Not a chastisement. Anyway, it's not critical, just though it might be a nicer way to teach the new member, before posting, rather than having it brought to his attention by whoever responds first. I also get that you can only do so much to help folks if they won't bother to read the guidelines.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
6,872 Posts
I can add this to the feedback docks but it would not be fulfilled immediately.
-Philip
With all due respect since when has anything here ever been fulfilled immediately.

·
Administrator
89 Fill This Out!
2,642 Posts
With all due respect since when has anything here ever been fulfilled immediately.
That is part of building and developing features. When things are done immediately, they're prone to being exploited by bugs or malicious software. Thank you for your continued patience while this feedback is accommodated.

-Gerrit

·
XV Forum Mod
2013 XV Crosstrek CVT
69 Posts
There's a certain irony in being lectured by the Administrator account on this, since so many of the site's current problems stem from their building such a problematic and incomplete site redesign, and then imposing it on us long before it was feature-complete or ready.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts