1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual 5spd
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
has anyone seen this type of thing before it has me really worried :(
everyday i find myself wiping off residue from underneath the expansion tank cap (the 108Kpa winged cap)
its a grainy like substance (see attached pics), I can't say its very oily, but rather sticky, coarse grainy texture with no obvious smell other than the coolant ofcourse

i dont know how long it has been happening but i started noticing it since i replaced my Radiator with a full Aluminium Radiator (the original one popped (Top Tank) in October 2018 and the replacement popped in March this year (bottom tank) only to find i was issued a Radiator for a Non Turbo Model (I have the XT) so the Turbo coolant hose was "bypassed" and bridged with the overflow reservoir (it ran fine like this for 5 months funny enough)

thanks in Advance

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
personally no - not sure if previous owner ever did

do you think it could be causing be issues if there was some left behind when the new coolant and radiator were put in?

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
No I don't think so. Subaru dealers use it often from my understanding so if you took it to the dealers there's a good chance it would get it every flush.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
453 Posts
System needs a full flush to see what color everything comes out as. Engine running, hose in top and open t-stat housing in bottom.

My guess is the expansion tank is rotting inside (if metal) or the heater core is plugging up, rusting, nasty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Plastic black expansion tank, i reckon a good few flushes are in order, is it easy to remove the Thermostat to see if there is any clogging there?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey Bobby,
Funny enough I don't really, have noticed a little bit of sediment at the bottom of the reservoir but will have to remove it today to fullly inspect

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
453 Posts
The Subaru coolant conditioner that they used to pimp real hard (also notice that they don't use it anymore) is nothing more than radiator stop-leak. And it was a cover-up to help them against head gasket failures of the era.
Not necessary for the cars, and if what the OP is seeing is actually leftover conditioner after years of use, probably harmful.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Installed a couple of these today
I'm a little nervous i hope they hold up temperature wise...but after a 10 min drive is already catching some of the gunk :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts