Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2001 Forester L and the tires on it have worn unevenly, tire-to-tire. The front passenger tire is more worn that the others. It's not drastic but I know that I will need to get some new ones in the next 6 months or so.The current tires are Shadow SigmaX :shrug: 205/70R/15 and they suck, quite frankly.

My driving style is easy-50% city/50% hwy. Road noise with the current tires is pronounced and I would like to get something quieter. Snowfall around here (Maryland, Suburban DC) is normally minimal with maybe one or two 4"+ snowfalls a year that melt away within a couple of days. Sleet and freezing rain is more common in the winter. My wife and I like to go in the mountains a couple of times a year but the closest to off-road we get is maybe some rough mountain gravel roads.

So, it looks like a decent, quiet, all weather tire is what I need. I plan to stick with the stock size unless there is a clear advantage to switching.

I looked at Tirerack's most popular and the Yoko Avid touring-S looks like a good buy at $56 per tire and a 65K mi expected life. The reviewers say that it is a quiet tire.

Just looking for opinions.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
Bill,

Greetings from across the Potomac!

You know, I'm starting to like the Yokohama Avid Touring-S. As you indicated, it scored well in Tire Rack's survey of "Standard Touring All-Season Tires". Subaru owners gave the tire good ratings in the Tire Rack's review section.

In Consumer Reports' last test of 23 "All-Season" tires, it was ranked squarely in the middle. It scored well enough in many test categories, including noise, but it earned only a "fair" rating for snow traction.

My wife's '06 Honda Accord needs new three-season tires, and these might just fit the bill, as we have a set of winter tires. The value (price vs specs and tread life) looks quite good, and they're made here in the U.S.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 2 of 2 Posts