Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
89 Fill This Out!
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

American stunt driver and Subaru USA Rally America driver Ken Block (left) is close to getting the call to the big leagues. AutoSport is reporting that Block is close to a deal with Ford that would seem him driving in the World Rally Championship (WRC), the world's premiere rally car racing series.

The deal will reportedly see Block keep his Monster Energy Drink sponsorship from his Subaru days as he drives for Ford with team mate Chris Atkinson – another former Subaru driver. With both Ford and Block on board, the WRC series, which is immensely popular overseas, finaly has a chance at real fame in the lucrative North American market.

WRC marketing expert Simon Long described Block, whose two viral YouTube Gymkhana videos have received tens of millions of views, as "an iconic figure in US motorsport and a major box office personality." He also went on to say that, "It wouldn't get much better than this for the WRC going into North America."

The deal is reported to go through next month and will see Block sign on with Ford for three seasons, starting next year.

More: Report: Subaru Stunt Driver Ken Block Headed to WRC in a Ford on AutoGuide.com

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
That's a good thing as far as bringing attention to the WRC in the US, but Block is going to get his *** handed to him if he's actually competing. He just isn't that great of a driver, despite of what his (heavily edited) youtube stunts would have everyone believe.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
From what I've seen in Rally USA... he pushes too hard and doesn't yield the results that are possible. His teammate however seems to run more consistantly, while still pushing the limits. Pastrana may not toss the car as hard and wrecklessly as Block, but Pastrana brings the car home in one piece on more stages.
Or maybe that's just what I've seen...

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
That's a good thing as far as bringing attention to the WRC in the US, but Block is going to get his *** handed to him if he's actually competing. He just isn't that great of a driver, despite of what his (heavily edited) youtube stunts would have everyone believe.
lol. I think you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning:biggrin:

Who's next in line to be insulted?

lol. Just giving you a hard time...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
I have bad cold and feel like crap, what can I say... :biggrin:

But seriously, Block isn't a WRC caliber driver. He's got lots of money and knows how to market himself well. Pastrana tried his luck in a WRC event and was less than successful, and Block isn't even as good of a driver as Pastrana.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
434 Posts
I lost some respect for Pastrana the other day when I was watching Nitro Circus and he used his signed Jimmie Johnson 2007 championship helmet for one of his stupid stunts on the show. He was like "sorry Jimmie, gotta go for safety" as he was scrubbing the signature off the visor. I would think that if he has enough money to buy a freakin monster truck to try and do a back flip with, he can buy his own helmet. :mob:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
80 Posts
Are you all a little sour about Block leaving Subaru?
I am surprised that Ford would want to sign him on being 4th in points, maybe he'll do better in a Ford?
I think Andrew Picard is going to come back next year as a serious threat to Team Subaru... I wish they would have signed him instead.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
LOL @ heavily edited... All those tire tracks!!! That routine was done HELLA times..

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
I have said this in every thread with a video of him. Not that I dont like the guy, but he just aint no CM.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
490 Posts
I have bad cold and feel like crap, what can I say... :biggrin:

But seriously, Block isn't a WRC caliber driver. He's got lots of money and knows how to market himself well. Pastrana tried his luck in a WRC event and was less than successful, and Block isn't even as good of a driver as Pastrana.
+1
He's a showman, that's all he's good at (with the help from his editors). This is gonna be fun to watch though. Should be like trying to take NASCAR to Europe :raspberry:

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Oh man this girl babbled on about the STI and how cool Ken Block is to us at the OC Autoshow..

DID I HEAR A HELLA IN HURRR??!!?? HOLLA BACK!

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
I wish him well. I hope it brings more wrc coverage in the states.
I know we have discovery showing some now, but the the more the merrier.
Torrent's are a PITA.

dm

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
I've been following the WRC on HD Theater (only way to get it in the states), and it's rather bland just seeing so many Ford's and Citroens. Maybe Subaru will return next year perhaps???

But Block has more driving talent that just about all of us forum members combined, so I wish him the best and hope to see him do well. (what can I say, I'm an optimist) :biggrin:

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
41 Posts
Sure you can knock his "heavily edited" videos all you want. Truth is its still pretty awesome driving and its making big waves for the popularity of rally throughout the Country.
Check out a couple Rally America stops to see his real talent. He's made the sport of rally explode in America since 2004. I've been to Ojibwe Forest rally, Sno*Drift, and Lake Superior ProRally for the last 4 years and personally, I've seen the sport quadruple in fans throughout the Midwest in just the past 3 years.
A strong fan base is really what the sport needs in order to make the US start back into the WRC. Get an American back into the race, even if it is with Ford, it will still spur that home-country fan base, and we are 1 step closer to getting a WRC stop in America.

·
Registered
12 Posts
here's hoping that he is successful, and can possibly bring a north american based team to wrc. fingers crossed for a subaru platform. after all, look at how many new teams joined F1 for the coming season, to include team USF1.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts