Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2001 forester
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference of the replica's and real deal borla's? And does anyone know where i can pick myself up some replicas?

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
255 Posts
Real Borla's crack....that's a fact. They use too thin of tubing for the design. The replicas are a better value given Borla's [sarcasm] stellar warrantee program[/sarcasm].

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
I believe there are naturally-aspirated headers for 2.2 and 2.5L subi engines. As long as you go with the proper displacement, it'll fit any model with that engine. I've just found out first hand though, that the header is just one part of getting the deep rumble. You also need a good free-flowing muffler. My 98 Foz now u.e.l. borla reps mated to an STi catback, and as of Monday morning a MagnaFlow model 12226 muffler. The sound is perfect. Very inexpensive muffler, too. Check eBay. The stock muffler even from the STi is very very quiet. The headers and the STi muffler literally sounded like the Subaru boxer rumble just needed to be uncorked, and that's just what I did.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Sure thing. Exactly what I did, too. Drove with the STi catback for one year, headers a couple of weeks ago, and now the muffler. Going to try to post pics and a video soon.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
so what's the advantage of installing the replica headers on a 2.5 n/a engine? mpg? low end to mid torque?

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
they all pretty much come from the same place, but construction is never consistent. so expect some wrestling to get them in because the one thing about replicas is that they almost never line up on the engine side. also, there seems to be some variation between the different replicas, as some are larger diameter than the others. there could be some homegrown replicas, but if you generally look for machined welds and such, it'll probably be a Top Speed V3 Borla replica.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
I've heard mostly good things about the welds and construction of the replicas. The tech at the exhaust shop I used did say he had to work with it a bit to get it to fit, though. No real problem. He joked that whenever they're made to fit right in - they don't. But it was no issue. One corner of it though is almost flush right up against a corner of the oil pan. I asked him if that would cause any problems, he smiles and says it'll heat up my oil quicker. Basically true heh..

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Oh, and the location of our oil filter on the 4EATs may be an issue.. especially since even the OEM filters became larger.

·
Registered
:(
495 Posts
I bought a used borla for $90 off a friend with a crack. Upon purchase I was really quite suprised how lightweight the whole header is... Guess I expected a heavy chunk of metal =/ It was however an easy weld for my mechanic before he put it on.

Straycatkid: Thanks for that info.. I just bought a STI midpipe and STI muffler and was worried about how quiet it would be. Sounds like it's gonna be quieter than expected. Glad I saw this before install, as I think I might go grab a cheaper muffler now. (Although I love the "STI" on the tailpipe.. hmm) -Jess

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
The only difference between real Borlas and the replicas is price. Until they're well worn in and re-welded in several locations they will both crack.

Slynki is running a set of the original Borlas "with history" - i.e. they've been around the block a few times and have been reinforced to the point where they're bulletproof.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts