Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a screw near the edge of a front tire with about 4,500 miles on it. The tire dealer said that it was too close to the side to patch and I'd need to replace the tire. I'm OK with that, but think it can be patched and maybe used as a spare?

It the course of the conversation, he also said that if the tread was down about 50% I should replace the other three. It would be unsafe to have one new tire and 3 with worn treads, since it was an all wheel drive vehicle. I would probably do that anyway, but this was the first time I had heard that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dealer is correct. I think the owners manual references this matter.

If I recall, if there is more than 2/32 difference between the new tire and the three older ones, you should replace all.
If your at 50% wear, that’s certainly more than a 2/32 difference.

·
admin
6,671 Posts
Tirerack can sell you a new identical tire and shave to to the tread depth of the other 3. I've had it done with great success. I sure there are others that can do the same thing.

·
admin
6,671 Posts
I believe his guy is saying that if the tires were at 50% wear then replace all four. I'd do the math and probably replace all 4 at like 75% or more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts