Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.0 XT Automatic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through a lot of threads on this and I think I have worked out the relevant answers but thought I'd double check.

I have a collapsed rear shock on my car (2005 2.0 XT) on the one side and a leaky shock on the other. Consultation with the garage I normally use revealed that it would be about £1000 to replace this. Yikes! Garage told me there simply wasn't another option as their systems would not allow them to order anything other than the parts the computer said they had to order. Searches on this forum reveal that there is another option and this is a common problem and the thing to do is replace the SLS with non SLS (which garage didn't think it could do, but nevermind).

So, if I read all the threads on this right, I can acquire these shocks, Buy SUBARU FORESTER 2.0 2005 kyb shock absorbers online and save | Buy Parts By, plus springs, possibly from Springcoil? Then find someone willing to do the job (not me, unfortunately, as I am not mechanically inclined :( ) and it will be fixed. Is this correct?

If I am converting it to non SLS, do the front ones need to be replaced as well?

·
Registered
2000 Forester Turbo Manual
144 Posts
I have read through a lot of threads on this and I think I have worked out the relevant answers but thought I'd double check.

I have a collapsed rear shock on my car (2005 2.0 XT) on the one side and a leaky shock on the other. Consultation with the garage I normally use revealed that it would be about £1000 to replace this. Yikes! Garage told me there simply wasn't another option as their systems would not allow them to order anything other than the parts the computer said they had to order. Searches on this forum reveal that there is another option and this is a common problem and the thing to do is replace the SLS with non SLS (which garage didn't think it could do, but nevermind).

So, if I read all the threads on this right, I can acquire these shocks, Buy SUBARU FORESTER 2.0 2005 kyb shock absorbers online and save | Buy Parts By, plus springs, possibly from Springcoil? Then find someone willing to do the job (not me, unfortunately, as I am not mechanically inclined :( ) and it will be fixed. Is this correct?

If I am converting it to non SLS, do the front ones need to be replaced as well?
I went for the pedders on the rear of my Y2K forester, easy to order and fitted by a mate in an hour plus a bit, fine ever since. It was the simple ordering process that swung my choice, you do not (at least I did not) need to change the fronts at the same time.

·
Registered
2005 2.0 XT Automatic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update!

Got the Pedders rear suspension from Sean at subaruforesterparts.co.uk. Car handling better than ever! Seems to be an improvement over the original. Cheers, guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts