Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester s auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Long story short. I was replacing the hose for the right rear caliper because it wasn't working.Replaced the caliper as well. When I put the new hose on I must have pulled/pushed the hard line and now it leaks over the frame in front of the gas tank.:icon_mad: I've checked the forum for some kind of how to but came up with nothing.Anyone had this problem before? Best way to fix? I would just as soon replace all the line but don't have a clue where it goes . Can I get to it with the back seat out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dennis

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X 4EAT
168 Posts
If I'm understanding you right, you might want to check a resource like OpposedForces. That link should take you right to the rear/center hardline piping for your MY. That should at least get you started with part numbers, etc, if you were trying to replace the hardline.

On another note, are you positive that the leak is coming from the front of the hardline and not the connection point between the rubber brake line and the hard line? My thinking is that I was pretty rough with my hard lines when I swapped my calipers and didn't run into a problem, but that I did have an issue making sure the connection was fully closed between the rubber and hard lines. In other words, could it be that the fluid is traveling forward along the hardline?

·
Registered
1998 forester s auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dwhenry. Not only was it broken above the subframe but also at the dual line juntion right below the rear seat. When I pulled the grommet off I could see fluid seeping out of one of the fittings. Surprisingly easy to fix. Picked up some hardline and unions(not comp fittings) and ran one line from right rear caliper to the corresponding line under the rear seat and for the rear driver side I ran 2 lines. 1 across the base for the seat and then another to pick up the caliper. There is a hole that I believe the wires for the abs run through. The nut on the line fits through it. From there it's back to the caliper. I was able to tuck the new lines snugly against the underside of the body.Saved a whole lot of work rather then try to follow the factory layout. BTW, thanks for the link to opposingforces. It' definitely will come in handy. All in all, a days work and back on the road.:Banane35:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts