Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear forum users

I need some help. I bought new strut/coil kits (Monroe) thinking it would be an easy replacement without need for coil compression. However, I have now run into an unexpected problem. When fitting the strut into place i can not get the wheel hub back into position to bolt the two together. The wheel hub is now angled outwards and I am not able to push it back. It seems like its the axel which is stopping it.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreaciated since google only gives me a bunch of videos showing smooth replacements.

Best,
ailisa

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,151 Posts
Just did this 2 weeks ago! Push the top of the coil springs into the strut support. Bolt the 3 screws down to pull it up as far as possible. That should allow the strut to just clear the knuckle to attach the two bolts. Make sure you mark them before you remove the old strut since the camber is set this way. Don't forget these bolts always face forward. Have the car alignment done when finished.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just did this 2 weeks ago! Push the top of the coil springs into the strut support. Bolt the 3 screws down to pull it up as far as possible. That should allow the strut to just clear the knuckle to attach the two bolts. Make sure you mark the two knuckle bolts before you remove the old strut since the camber is set this way. Don't forget these knuckle bolts always face forward. Have the car alignment done when finished.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
236 Posts
Dear forum users

I need some help. I bought new strut/coil kits (Monroe) thinking it would be an easy replacement without need for coil compression. However, I have now run into an unexpected problem. When fitting the strut into place i can not get the wheel hub back into position to bolt the two together. The wheel hub is now angled outwards and I am not able to push it back. It seems like its the axel which is stopping it.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreaciated since google only gives me a bunch of videos showing smooth replacements.

Best,
ailisa
Use a second jack to push the control arm up. This is a common issue.

sometimes you just have to use just the right amount of brute force.

A large pry bar could help too

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you to everyone for your tips. It turns out I have managed to pop the axle out when trying to force the strut into position :( Next step foreward will be to take out the axle

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think this is one situation where a picture would be a thousand words. It really isn't necessary to remove the axle. If you do that you will have to readjust the tie rods, ball joints and knuckle and CV connections. Easier to take it to shop and have them do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dear forum users

Best,
ailisa
I think you let the cv joint come out of the socket under the boot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts