Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm finally fed up with the clackclackclack when turning right, as it's now clackclackclack when turning left too!

I read in the workshop manual that you should replace the inner bearing seal and track arm lock nut, is there anything else I need to get new from Subaru while I'm at it?

Many thanks

Jan

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
Front outer CV joint gone yes?

New split pin type thing for inner drive shaft to gear box connection and new hub nut.

Have you checked how much to fix first before shelling out on a new shaft?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
32 Posts
You might need a 6" gear puller if the shaft is stuck in the hub. My left one was rusted and I needed to use a gear puller to seperate the shaft and the hub but the right one came out with no problem.

You'll also need a lot of patience if things don't work out just right.

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks people!

@mdg: Yes I'm assuming the outer CV joint's gone. I haven't checked, no, but I know new ones are about £400. I'm going to try and get a second hand one unless it's not worth it?

@frogstar: thanks, that's good to know, I'll check with the dealer if I get a new one.

@nebraska: thanks, yes I have access to one of those, plus I'll replace it with a smear of copper grease when it goes back in, so the next poor sod that has to do the boot won't struggle!

I might also look into making a heat shield to stop the boot going again, got some nice aluminium sheet in the shed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts