Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 XT (premium sound package) and was wondering if I can swap in a newer OEM head unit that has a aux port.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
any radio from a 98-08 Forester will be plug and play. I believe 07/08 are the only years with the AUX.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The newer models don't have the built in amp for the sub, so the sub in the hatch would no longer be used. I did it and don't miss the sub at all, it doesn't really add much.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,837 Posts
I have a 04 XT (premium sound package) and was wondering if I can swap in a newer OEM head unit that has a aux port.
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Before you go thru the expense of an OEM to OEM change out for the AUX input feature, you might want to do some research on issues some have had using the OEM AUX input. You might be money ahead by upgrading to an aftermarket head unit. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Before you go thru the expense of an OEM to OEM change out for the AUX input feature, you might want to do some research on issues some have had using the OEM AUX input. You might be money ahead by upgrading to an aftermarket head unit. :wink:

Bobby...
I have been lurking for a few days and figured I would register.
now why would I lose the sub? shouldn't everything still work since i'm just going oem to oem? seems like a weird design flaw to me.

·
Administrator
40,837 Posts
now why would I lose the sub? shouldn't everything still work since i'm just going oem to oem? seems like a weird design flaw to me.
My '07 factory/OEM head unit had a built in amp for the rear subwoofer. IMO, the rear subwoofer was very poor. I prefer a subwoofer up front like this. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My '07 factory/OEM head unit had a built in amp for the rear subwoofer. IMO, the rear subwoofer was very poor. I prefer a subwoofer up front like this. :wink:

Bobby...
so the 07 headunit doesn't have a built in amp? I'd rather not bother putting in another sub since the car is for my girlfriend and I doubt she would want to go through all of that.
myself on the other hand...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now, if I were to go to an aftermarket HU what would I have to do to keep use of all of my speakers?
Thanks for your help, BTW.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The 04/05 (and maybe others?) have a separate plug on the back of the HU for the subwoofer. iirc the newer models have the subwoofer split off from the front speakers or something, but don't have the separate plug to hook up the stock sub.

·
Administrator
40,837 Posts
Now, if I were to go to an aftermarket HU what would I have to do to keep use of all of my speakers?
Thanks for your help, BTW.
If you go with an aftermarket head unit, all the speakers will work exactly like before, but IMO, they will sound much better. You will loose the subwoofer in the cargo area, but if you really had to have it, you can buy a small amp to enable it. IMO, upgrading to a subwoofer under the passenger seat may be a better option. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,837 Posts
so the 07 headunit doesn't have a built in amp? I'd rather not bother putting in another sub since the car is for my girlfriend and I doubt she would want to go through all of that.
myself on the other hand...
Yes, the factory/OEM head unit in my '07 "did" have the amp built in for the cargo area subwoofer. :smile:

If you're going for a factory/OEM unit, make sure the Forester it came out of had a factory subwoofer in the cargo area, if it didn't, it may not have the built in subwoofer amp! :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
If you're going for a factory/OEM unit, make sure the Forester it came out of had a factory subwoofer in the cargo area, if it didn't, it may not have the built in subwoofer amp!
+1

I've just recently learned that frequently, Subarus have several different variations of the OEM HUs that look nearly identical but have subtle differences. There are HUs installed in Impreza/WRX/STI that look the same as ones in Foresters but do not have the 5th-channel sub output (since Imprezas never have the rear cargo sub speaker).

They do have different model numbers on the front. So once you find a model number that was in a Forester with the rear sub, you can be sure that any radio with that number has the sub output.

SubieBro- if your sub is the kind that is under one of the front seats, that has its own built-in amp. Its wiring harness plugs in between the HU and the car's radio harness, and it taps off of either the front or rear speakers. That kind will work with any other HU (both OEM and aftermarket). See my 'Stock HU Info' thread for details.

Now if you do go with a newer Forester HU that has aux input and the 5th-channel sub output, it will have a different socket than your 2004 HU. You'll need an adapter with a socket that looks like this...
i85 socket.jpg
and a plug like the one on this cable...
Aux In.jpg
to convert from your 2004 car's sub harness to the socket on the newer HU. The new socket also has the pins for the aux input. I can put an adapter together for you. E-mail or PM me for details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is turning into such a pain in the donkey, haha.
might just end up buying a new HU and getting a small amp to power the factory sub.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5spd Manual
125 Posts
Does anyone know if the OEM subwoofer from 2010 2.5x will work with an aftermarket HU (specifically Kenwood DNX5140) without an amp?

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Does anyone know if the OEM subwoofer from 2010 2.5x will work with an aftermarket HU (specifically Kenwood DNX5140) without an amp?
Which type of sub is yours:

A) Speaker built into the rear cargo area

B) Under-seat, oddly-shaped

C) Under-seat, rectangular-shaped

"A" and "B" can be connected to your HU's line-level subwoofer output (via an adapter harness -- contact me for more info).

"C" can plug in between your HU and the car's radio harness, as it was with the stock HU.

2008 and earlier Forester models with type "A" have the plain speaker that would require a mono amp. I can make an adapter harness for those, too.

·
Registered
2007 Forester automatic
4 Posts
Hi I have option A of the subwoofers.

what adapter harness are you refering to?

It`s the trunk subwoofer in forester 2007

regards

Tom Alexander

1 - 16 of 16 Posts