Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take out the cheesey looking original knob and put in a nice one. Maybe a Momo, like I have in my Miata. I tried to unscrew it, but it just seemed to unscrew the whole stick. :confused: What's up with that?

Do I have to dismantle the whole consul to put on a new knob? Or am I using the wrong technique? I can't believe that everybody loves their stock ones. :puke:

Just my opinion. He heh....

Thanx guys!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Axxman!

You have a lot of cool stuff on your ride. You are an inspiration to the rest of us.
I love my 5spd. Just needed to class it up a bit. Where did you get the Momo?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the Momo! Makes a world of difference in my 5 spd. :Banane08:

·
Registered
2017 FXT CVT
16 Posts
Works on A/T also

The nice thing about the gated auto shifter is that you aren't limited to a knob with a release button. All the options available to the M/T guys are also for the shift it and forget it crowd. This is my wife's bling of choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
141 Posts
I am having the same problem as original poster. When I try to unscrew the knob, it seems to unscrew the whole shaft... like I am going to pull out the whole boot by accident. Mine is an '01 5-speed manual, btw. What am I doing wrong? Thanks...

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
they are kinda pricey but wc lathe works has great knobs. as close to the yelnats(he is a member here that made killer knobs) delrin. I have the 6spd copolymer grooved shot knob and love it. never hot or cold and has a great feel. looks like this one...

I only wish i could find rubber bands to put in the grooves like yelnats had in his to make it more of a ribbed feel instead of grooved

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
they are kinda pricey but wc lathe works has great knobs. as close to the yelnats(he is a member here that made killer knobs) delrin. I have the 6spd copolymer grooved shot knob and love it. never hot or cold and has a great feel. looks like this one...

I only wish i could find rubber bands to put in the grooves like yelnats had in his to make it more of a ribbed feel instead of grooved
Have you looked into getting some large O-rings for the grooves?

I got some to go on my aftermarket radio knob to reduce the brightness of the lighting. Lowe's had quite an assortment. Not sure if they have any big enough for a shift knob. There should be an industrial or hose/tube supply company in medium-size cities and up that should be able to help you if Lowe's doesn't have anything.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
85 to 92 Subaru or later called Loyale .... I had an 85 4WD wagon. The dash looks later than my85.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
On my list of things to do is to just turn one out of exotic wood on my lathe.
Something like this Custom Wood Gearshift Knobs
I just have to come up with a shape I like. Not sure if I want to have the shift pattern on top or not. I already know where all the gears are... :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am having the same problem as original poster. When I try to unscrew the knob, it seems to unscrew the whole shaft... like I am going to pull out the whole boot by accident. Mine is an '01 5-speed manual, btw. What am I doing wrong? Thanks...
Yah, I had the same illusion. So, I held onto the shaft, while turning the knob counter clockwise. The shift boot has a plastic ring extension that goes up into the stock knob. This just pulls out. My new Momo is a Subaru knob, so everything fit together perfectly, including the plastic ring on the boot.

Awesome!!! :bling:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts