Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Xt Luxury
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just bought a 2005 Forester XT Luxury and I want to change the stereo to get ipod input.
My car has the stereo controls on the steering wheel.

I've searched all over the net and can't seem to find any aftermarket stereos that will allow me to still use the factory steering wheel controls.

Does anybody know of any stereos that could work here?

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Xt Luxury
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not so much the stereo you get, but the module you have to buy and program that allows you to use the steering wheel controls. Do a Google search for PAC-swi jack or Metra Axxess.
Really? Is that it? Haha!
No ipod music again ****ted me right off and the Dealer said "Sorry, no such item"

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Yeah, that's really it. The dealer evidently has no idea. I got the PAC-swi jack that works with most of the good brands like Kenwood, Alpine, JVC, and Clarion. They (PAC) also make one for Pioneer decks. I was a little bit of a PITA to program and someone else on here, Jman I think, has the Axxess and it sounds like it's much better than the PAC unit. I'm not sure what brands work with it, but I'm sure you'll find it on their website. Oh, here's a link from an old thread.:Banane37:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/stereo-system-completed-71620/

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
See this post.

To shop for HUs, check the listings at Crutchfield.com and Sonic Electronix -- they'll both show you whether each HU has SWC capability (most do), and if so, which interface module it needs.

ADDED: Most HUs will work with the Axxess ASWC, and Sonic has started mentioning that (since they sell both the ASWC and PAC modules). Crutchfield doesn't sell the ASWC (yet), so they only mention which PAC module you would need.

·
Registered
06 Wrx
38 Posts
but if you are trying to put it in yourself i dont like the process o programing the steeringwheel controls

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
52 Posts
That's whats so great about the ASWC -- in most cases, it recognizes the car and HU and programs itself.
I just installed one yesterday with a JVC KD-A815. The self-programming recognized the car and the stereo, but one of the steering wheel buttons did not work. It was easy to manually program but make sure you do it while the ASWC is still visible so you can see the LED.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts