Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, finally got around to trying to fix the damage to the rear bumper today.

Luckily all of the mounts on the actual body where pretty easy to put right with some gentle persuasion with the hammer, but the mounts on the bumper itself are pretty buggered.

I've managed to get it all back together, but don't hold out much hope for it long-term so i need to bite the bullet and order a new one. Only issue that I'm having at the moment is understanding what is actually included with the bumper. When i look at the parts diagram, the bumper cover is 57704A which is as expected, the the two items that i've highlighted on the attached image (a reinforcement strut 57707HH and the bracket 57707H) are riveted to the bumper on my car, so I would assume that they would be supplied as part of it?

Tried to speak to my local dealer but they were struggling to understand over the phone.

Anyone had to order one in the past who can shed some light?

Tom.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm getting my front bumper cover replaced/painted soon. OEM Bumper cover. $320.
The bumper covers are usually un painted/primed raw plastic covers. You will need to have it prepped and painted to match
and it may not included bezels, trim, etc.. The bumpers are held on with plastic tabs and brackets plus a few small screws or
push pins. All those parts are sold separately. The bumper covers don't come with any other parts or fasteners.

Are you covered by insurance? If you have a high deductible, you may want to find a good painter and just buy the parts yourself.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
5,525 Posts

Any parts that are included under a single part code with either be surrounded by a box or have links to the specific items like your lefthand highlighted group above.

As I see it, part code 57704A is purely for the bumper skin.

Rivetted yes, the smaller corner brackets has one pop rivet each and the larger rear brackets have two each at the top (part code R920035 on above diagram - dotted line shows their location)

Rivets for brackets available from ICP (shown for UK Impreza bumper but same rivet) or UK dealer.
https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=13335&cat=96&sub=183&sec=403&var=85&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

·
5,525 Posts

·
5,525 Posts
Here is a picture of a new UK fitted rear bumper face in primer (paint for usage).

No corner brackets fitted and you can see the holes in the top edge where the rear mounting brackets are riveted in place.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.
@Emilio G. - I did consider doing it through the insurance, but my excess (think the same thing as your deductible?) will probably end up being 75-80% of the cost and my insurance premiums will go up by quite a bit so figured it would be cheaper and simpler overall if i do it myself. Also, the body shops around here all charge a huge amount of money (I reckon they would quote over £2k for this even though I can fix it myself for around £500) and they are all shockingly bad at doing the job anyway, unaligned panels, bad paint matches, only changing the external bits despite charging for everything etc.
@Don - as always, a fountain of knowledge. The right-hand side bracket is fine as long as I can get the rivets out without damaging it, but the plastic clip on the left-hand side one is broken so it won't securley clip into the body. Looks like a new bumper and LH bracket are required
@Lockheed - i'll get the price from the dealer and let you know, but I found one on japanparts.com for £345. The trouble is that i think the STI bumper is different from the standard model so it'll almost defintely have to come from japan.

Anyway, the fix seems to be holding it's own at the moment so I may get away with it for a bit longer!

Tom.

·
5,525 Posts
@Don - as always, a fountain of knowledge. The right-hand side bracket is fine as long as I can get the rivets out without damaging it, but the plastic clip on the left-hand side one is broken so it won't securley clip into the body. Looks like a new bumper and LH bracket are required

@Lockheed - i'll get the price from the dealer and let you know, but I found one on japanparts.com for £345. The trouble is that i think the STI bumper is different from the standard model so it'll almost defintely have to come from japan.

Tom.
Yes, Bumper face is different to UK models so a new one needs to come from Japan one way or another.

Not only is the bumper face different but also the rear side brackets (the one you need to replace).

Below is the list of the items you circled previously including bumper face.

JDM part numbers

UK part numbers for reference wrt brackets etc.

Although Japanparts do an unpainted one for £345.86 (at time of writing) and they list most of the bracketry as well, did you check out the attached shipping costs ?? and you would need to add VAT to both items and more than likely some import duty on top

Shipping cost in this case will be based on volume not weight.

I would get a quote for it all from Subaru UK for bringing it into the country.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Yes, Bumper face is different to UK models so a new one needs to come from Japan one way or another.

Not only is the bumper face different but also the rear side brackets (the one you need to replace).

Below is the list of the items you circled previously including bumper face.

JDM part numbers

UK part numbers for reference wrt brackets etc.

Although Japanparts do an unpainted one for £345.86 (at time of writing) and they list most of the bracketry as well, did you check out the attached shipping costs ?? and you would need to add VAT to both items and more than likely some import duty on top

Shipping cost in this case will be based on volume not weight.

I would get a quote for it all from Subaru UK for bringing it into the country.
Oh Phark sounds expensive . Tom got any pics of the plastic damage, there are some good modern repair systems for thermo setting plastic .

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Don, I assumed that the shipping would be expensive although not quite that expensive!

Didn't think to get any pics when i was putting it back together, the one that is the most problematic is the plastic clip in the 57707HH bracket (circled in red in the attachement). There's enough space in the trim that's left to secure the rest of the bumper and the black moulding covers the damage at the bottom. I may be able to get away with just the new bracket rather than the whole bumper.

Will take it off again when I get some good weather and have a proper look.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
highland forry
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing