Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My wife has lost one of the keys to our UK MY05 XT (pre face lift), the fob has a single button. I rang our local Subaru dealer and they quoted me £197.20 for the key and £47 to program it.

I realised it would be expensive, but that seems a bit excessive. Before I stump up I just wondered if anyone knew of anywhere I can obtain a key cheaper, ideally genuine, but I'd consider good quality alternatives. Also is it possible to program it yourself and if so, how?

Anyone know the make and model of the alarm?

Thanks in advance.
LJ

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Hi,

My wife has lost one of the keys to our UK MY05 XT (pre face lift), the fob has a single button. I rang our local Subaru dealer and they quoted me £197.20 for the key and £47 to program it.

I realised it would be expensive, but that seems a bit excessive. Before I stump up I just wondered if anyone knew of anywhere I can obtain a key cheaper, ideally genuine, but I'd consider good quality alternatives. Also is it possible to program it yourself and if so, how?

Anyone know the make and model of the alarm?

Thanks in advance.
LJ
£197 sounds a lot steep but that will include cutting. A dealer should be able to supply a blank key for £60ish I would think...take it to a key cutting place & get it done for a tenner, then if you want to stick with the dealer route take it back to them for coding.

Not sure about XTs but there are a few threads on here about "self-coding" & buying blanks from eBay etc.

Alarm is probs a Sigma M30 I think - again threads on here about it if you use the search.

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Just before I drove out of the showroom with my car, the sales manager warned me never to lose either of the keys as they were £200 each. Didn't realise there was a programming charge as well...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks, I did check for other posts, but a lot of them seemed to concern replacing just the transponder part and not the whole key.

I found a blank subaru key on e-bay, but I'm not sure if it is genuine or will work with my car. I can't post the link as the forum software won't let me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Actually looking at cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#immobilizer keys it appears I may just have to bite the bullet. The key has a chip for the immobilizer which presumably justifies (some) of the expense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts