Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while I was out playing in the snow, I ripped open one of my cv boots. I would like to replace the front axle. Is there a DIY video, or pictures somewhere?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Reuse not replace, you know your parts, I'd suggest just getting the boot replaced as a 'reconditioned' part could have been driven without grease for a few thousand miles!

EU manual section, but its the same http://www.subaru-car.ru/for3/for3_chas_6.pdf

Simon

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reuse not replace, you know your parts, I'd suggest just getting the boot replaced as a 'reconditioned' part could have been driven without grease for a few thousand miles!

EU manual section, but its the same http://www.subaru-car.ru/for3/for3_chas_6.pdf

Simon

Thanks! It would save a bunch of $$$ to only do the boot. To get the boot off, do you need a c-clip removal tool? It looks like you also need a vice. Could I get away without using a vice?

·
Registered
2008 XT Limited 4EAT
414 Posts
Anyone know if the outer joint separates from the shaft? Or is the outer joint permanently attached to the shaft? I'd rather not have to to remove the inner DOJ and boots and everything in order to slide the outer boot through that side. It would be ideal to remove the outer joint and just slide the boot through that side, and not touch the DOJ at all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's not made to be repaired that way. You must disassemble inner and outer boots to access outer boot.

I did this on my Forester. It's a messy job. You need a long flat plastic pan to work in or you'll make a mess to clean.

good luck

·
Registered
2008 XT Limited 4EAT
414 Posts
I was afraid of that. Is there a way to save the grease and boot on the inner? I know both joints use different greases. Or do I basicallly have to get a boot kit for the inner as well?

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
I was afraid of that. Is there a way to save the grease and boot on the inner? I know both joints use different greases. Or do I basicallly have to get a boot kit for the inner as well?
You need to take your axle(s) to:

Axle Rebuilders
5517 Hollywood Blvd'
Los Angeles, CA 90028
323-856-0761
ask for Mateo

$60.00 each for a complete rebuild with new boots, new bearings and races, new grease, and they clean, wire wheel and repaint all of the parts so when you get them back, they look brand new.
Takes them one day.

By the way, what the heck is that picture in your avatar?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts