Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at replacement headlight bulbs for my 2017 Forester. I am doubting there is any difference in brightness between the various product tiers. For instance Sylvania Basic tier vs. Sylvania Silverstone vs. Sylvania Silverstone Ultra. After all a F11 bulb in any of the above tiers will still be drawing 55 watts of power. Therefore, how can the more expensive tier bulb burn brighter?

·
Registered
2015 Forester
167 Posts
If I remember correctly the H11 basic is rated for 1500 hours, the silverstone for 150 hours and the ultra for 250 hours so my guess is that they brightness increase is at the expense of lifespan. Just about everything I have bought in stores has not lasted as long as the original bulbs. I'm kinda of curious to know the expected lifespan of diode dynamic's SL1 led bulb.

·
Registered
15 Forester CVT
277 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with trying different H11 bulbs. You could try to swap over to H9 bulbs, but it will require some modification:

Benefits of switching to H9 bulbs: nearly double the light output, essentially the same price as H11 bulbs, nothing special to it.
Cons: higher wattage means shorter life expectancy and the potential to melt headlight sockets.

They will never be as bright as a LED or HID retrofit - not the drop in bulbs, but either swapping to the higher trim LED or HID headlights or performing a headlight retrofit. I'm in Sterling, VA as well and could show you my LED retrofit headlights. I've also got a bixenon HID retrofit set of headlights in my garage.

Benefits of retrofit: nearly triple the light output of H11, whiter light output.
Cons: cost, time consuming (if DIY or sending out your headlights to a retrofitter service), added complexity.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
694 Posts
First rule, no blue

I was looking at replacement headlight bulbs for my 2017 Forester. I am doubting there is any difference in brightness between the various product tiers. For instance Sylvania Basic tier vs. Sylvania Silverstone vs. Sylvania Silverstone Ultra. After all a F11 bulb in any of the above tiers will still be drawing 55 watts of power. Therefore, how can the more expensive tier bulb burn brighter?
If I remember correctly the H11 basic is rated for 1500 hours, the silverstone for 150 hours and the ultra for 250 hours so my guess is that they brightness increase is at the expense of lifespan. Just about everything I have bought in stores has not lasted as long as the original bulbs. I'm kinda of curious to know the expected lifespan of diode dynamic's SL1 led bulb.
I recommend never buying a bulb with a blue coating or tint. Makes no sense to reduce light output. The blue is strictly a fad/fashion thing and tinting does not add color, only subtracts.

Second rule is to not buy extra high performance bulbs. They might be a little brighter but total photon output is less because they burn out sooner. I have had good luck with Sylvania "Vision" bulbs that are just one step up from OEM type. Seems that they have better controlled output due to better precision than just more watts.

My original OEM bulbs were bulged and blackened at 10.000 miles.

GD

·
Registered
2016 Forester limited CVT
29 Posts
The stock Halogen headlights in our cars are a real frustration. The H9 mod is a worthwhile improvement and a low $cost/time investment. Headlight lust continued and I did purchase and install some DD SL1 led H11 lamps. It's a nice bright white light with a reasonable cut off but not the sharp focused light I want. I think a retrofit solution as infinite suggested or a new headlight assembly is the real solution, complicated and expensive. I wish someone would offer a plug and play LED replacement headlight at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
167 Posts
The stock Halogen headlights in our cars are a real frustration. The H9 mod is a worthwhile improvement and a low $cost/time investment. Headlight lust continued and I did purchase and install some DD SL1 led H11 lamps. It's a nice bright white light with a reasonable cut off but not the sharp focused light I want. I think a retrofit solution as infinite suggested or a new headlight assembly is the real solution, complicated and expensive. I wish someone would offer a plug and play LED replacement headlight at a reasonable price.
Are you still driving with the DD SL1? I understand it's not everything you want, but would you recommend the upgrade even the available options? Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
I tried Philips' own version of H11 LED, was nice till I have to drive bumper to bumper traffic at night, the pure white light is just horrible and gives me an headache, especially if I'm following a white car.

I swapped it out the next day, won't try again unless there's an neutral white LED option.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
203 Posts
On my 2017 I found the high beams adequate, the low beams not adequate for my up the country daily commute. Deer are a daily hazard there too. I also do not like white or blue beams, had major improvement with phillips extreme visions for the low beam, Sylvanias similiar product for the high beams. The beams are only a little whiter but still yellow mostly. The Sylvanias are Osram and therefore same brand as the OEM and may take the Subaru electrical system a little better. Amazon had to send me a package of the Phillips for free for their one year warranty when one blew out . I don't care that I know they will all have to be replaced more often, they are a neccesity for safety up country. In a storm I could see nothing with the low beam OEM bulbs if forced to use low beams due to oncoming traffic or fog. The headlight lamps are easy to replace, the car is not.

·
Registered
2016 Forester limited CVT
29 Posts
Are you still driving with the DD SL1? I understand it's not everything you want, but would you recommend the upgrade even the available options? Thanks!
Yes I would. There are some minor stray reflections, I got flashed a few times, I re-aimed the headlights slightly down, seems to have helped, still a big improvement over stock.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,254 Posts
Yes I would. There are some minor stray reflections, I got flashed a few times, I re-aimed the headlights slightly down, seems to have helped, still a big improvement over stock.
Did the same with mine after installing another brand of LED lamps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts