Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my wife cross threaded two wheel nuts, the studs broke off.

I just replaced the two broken studs. Used the instructions here:
http://www.scoobymods.com/replace-rear-wheel-stud-t4247.html?t=4247&highlight=wheel+stud

I did everything as directed but decided not to remove the ABS sensor, my experience being I'm more likely to break stuff like this removing it then by working around it.

I removed the tone ring and replaced the studs without any clear problem. I don't think anything wacked the ABS sensor...but I put everything back together and it seemed OK, but the ABS light is staying on. And the ABS doesn't work.

So, what are the possibilities for what got messed up?

Could I have put the tone ring on the wrong way (it looked to go on in only one way)?

Could I have gotten something on the ABS sensor? Can it be cleaned?

Did I just break the sensor? Are the sensors really fragile?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
FWIW, I broke one of my rear sensors on my 02 by hammering a lot in that area(trying to free the big donkey bolt).

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
To answer you question about the sensitivity of the ABS sensor, the answer is yes they are very sensitive and a pain to deal with if you have to mess with it. I would go back through your install and see if you are noticing anything too lose or backwards. Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
the air gap in between the head of the senser and the tone ring, if it is 2 big or 2 small the PCM/ABS modules will not like the readings they see hence the light, if this is indeed the case they arent the worst to fix, you need some brass feeler gauges, and the spec, and a code reader

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
sorry for this possible dumb question, the tech that installed my new wheel stud broke my toner ring. the subaru parts guy said i'd have to remove the hub to replace it. is that true or can you remove it without removing the hub?

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
yeah, i would check the area between the sensor and the teeth around the axle.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry for this possible dumb question, the tech that installed my new wheel stud broke my toner ring. the subaru parts guy said i'd have to remove the hub to replace it. is that true or can you remove it without removing the hub?
To replace it you would have to remove the hub.

Another guy that broke his toner ring was simply able to JB weld it together, which was done in place, and so he did not have to remove the hub. If this was done at a shop THEY need to replace it and remove the hub.

Good luck,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, and in my case I bent the metal tip of the sensor installing the studs. I removed the sensor (which I should have done in the first place, it came out really easily), and simply bent the metal tip back to straight (almost). After driving for about 100miles it reset and works fine again. The metal part of the sensor is clearly very very robust.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts