Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Impreza Diesel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Today I replaced both the discs and pads, and for some reason, the Handbrake is now loose. I guess I've done something wrong?
It's a 2009 Subaru Diesel Impreza, from what I understand it's the same as the Legacy / Forester brake pads.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
40 Posts
If your brakes are the same as the same year Forester, then there is a simple solution. Inside the rear discs are parking brake shoes, which are adjustable. There is an access hole on the hub face of each disc, normally covered by a rubber plug. Remove the rear wheels, remove the plug (if you transferred it from the old disc), and, with the parking brake disengaged use a flat bladed screwdriver inserted in the access hole to turn the star adjuster. You'll have to shine a light into the access hole while rotating the disc to line it up with the adjusting wheel. With a little trial and error you can tighten the adjuster on each wheel until the shoes barely drag while the disc is rotated.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
113 Posts
If your brakes are the same as the same year Forester, then there is a simple solution. Inside the rear discs are parking brake shoes, which are adjustable. There is an access hole on the hub face of each disc, normally covered by a rubber plug. Remove the rear wheels, remove the plug (if you transferred it from the old disc), and, with the parking brake disengaged use a flat bladed screwdriver inserted in the access hole to turn the star adjuster. You'll have to shine a light into the access hole while rotating the disc to line it up with the adjusting wheel. With a little trial and error you can tighten the adjuster on each wheel until the shoes barely drag while the disc is rotated.
There should be no drag at all when adjusting. The wheels should spin freely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts