Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get my right rear knuckle off last week which was a task but felt great to be DIY. Took the nuckle to NAPA who ordered the bearing and seals then did the machine work. Total cost a little over $100! I thought, great! Well, I put it back together and have been driving it this week. There is a scrubing sound. I had a caliper freeze one time and made that sound. I jack the wheel off the ground and it turns without restriction. Thought that maybe still I perhaps tightend the E-brake too much and loosend it, still does it. You can hear it the moment you start rolling. Gets muffled when going at speed and does go away when turning to the right (repalced bearing in right rear). Next, vibration, just as bad as when the other bearing was going bad!? The other bearing did get to the point to where I heard a grinding noise when I turned left which is why I then jumped on it. I am curious if NAPA messed up the bearing upon install but just talked to the person who did the work and said it the job went fine. He suggested and as I too am perhaps suspecting a bad "joint" in the axle as it goes into the knuckle. Just that the sounds it makes and how it goes away when turning seems awefully like a bad bearing, except it is brand new!!!??? :icon_frown: I think I am going to look at my old bearing more closely and see if there really is any significant wear. Could the axle/joint make this kind of sound which goes away when turning in one direction?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Did they reuse the hub? If its been making noise, the hub can get scored and then when reused can cause the new bearing to fail quickly.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
Yup... if the bearing is bad enough that you can hear it, always replace the hub too because chances are it's been damaged enough that it will kill the replacement bearing in short order.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
In case it did need replaced I actually had them order a new hub with the bearing but when they took off the hub they said it didn't need replaced and reused it. Had to actually pay to send back the new one. :icon_question: Oh, and it started sounding bad immediately, not like the new bearing really had time to wear out ? ? ? ? I am listening every day to see if it is getting worse.

·
Registered
2003 Forester xs
3 Posts
Did u end up getting a new hub and bearing? Has anyone gotten rid of the bearing noise effectively by replacing the bearing again with a new hub this time?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts