Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We just bought a 2006 Forester for my wife. She loves it. However, it has a single CD HU and it seems to be broken (every time we put in a CD it tries to read it and then spits it out, burnt discs, or store bought).

I have 2 questions for you smart folks. Can I simply replace the single CD deck with the 6-disc changer (will the wiring harness support it)? And: When I uninstall the old one and install the used replacement deck (single, or changer) does the dealer have to program it to the car for it to work? (the ads on eBay suggest that that may be the case)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Just get yourself a decent Pioneer or Kenwood unit. You'll only spend about $100-$120 and you will be happier. Alot of them have the Ipod thing where you can hide your Ipod and control it exclusively from the head unit. I have that and its way better than a cd changer. Have my whole music collection at the touch of a button. I believe Crutchfiled makes harnesses that you don't have to solder together so you can have a nice plug and play setup. I don't mind a nice soldering project though.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Car/MyCar.aspx?

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I just replaced the single CD unit in my step-father's car with an OEM 6 disk unit. Super easy install. Totally plug and play, harnesses plug right in and no reprogramming needed. The brackets from yours will bolt right onto the new OEM one too. Simple install.

I have my original OEM 6-disk headunit in the garage if you don't already have one. Was looking for $100 shipped for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts