1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I am looking at this item

Subaru Impreza WRX/STi DECAT exhaust centre section 116 on eBay (end time 24-Oct-09 08:47:34 BST)

because my existing pipework is on the way out.

A couple of questions cos I can't figure it out, bright spark that i am...

Does this replace the existing OEM exhaust from the 2nd cat back or from from the first?, or, is at a direct replacement for part no 20 (rear exhaust pipe) on diagram below (taken from 2001MY manual) ?

Does anyone have any dealings with the seller? can anyone vouch for the quality of the steel...?

what backbox would this work well with?

will fitting this plus say an H&S backbox mean I have to get the car remapped? It is otherwise completely standard (for now).

Apologies for any duplication on postings, but always good to get fresh advice!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
The cat pipe is the big mess in the lower right of your parts diagram. Pipe 20 is the exhaust pipe with the resonator (that small protruding tube). The cat pipe is going to be expensive.. see if you can find a used one.

The ebay pipe replaces pipe 20.

Is that really the right diagram for an S turbo? Let me double check..

I'm seeing this as the EDM S Turbo exhaust diagram:

If that's the case, it replaces pipe 5, which still only has the resonator, as your cat is in the downpipe.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neoshi, thanks for input. That diagram I posted was actually for the later SG (I think). Apologies all.

I note from this thread http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/exhaust-sf5-61582/ that the section the item on ebay i'm viewing is looking like a replacement for the 'rear exhaust' according to don's image and as matches my existing. my questions re remapping, matching to a backbox and if it is indeed a suitable replacement remain.

cheers all

mike

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have just had a look at H&S's site and they're cheaper going direct to them!!!!!

Ignore my ramblings please, I'm off to the funny farm for a lie down.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,564 Posts
If yours is agenuine MY01 (no plug leads etc.) then item 20 is correct.

If you go to H&S then they do pipes for both classic (three piece) and Newage (four piece).

I believe the pipe you are looking to replace varies slightly in length between classic and newage.

TSL are extremely expensive on ebay.

NEOSHI - FYI- EDM S turbo changed to OBDII (EODB) compliance in 2001 hence the change to the exhaust system and other items.
You should have checked Exhaust #3 for May00 onwards :biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
oh so you guys are using the australia spec (#3)? the pic i posted above is for may00- (#4)

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,564 Posts
That would appear to be an error on opposedforces.com.

Australia stayed with the three piece, as in Exhaust #4, as did Japan.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
From my experience, TSL are expensive......full stop.....

Just putting in a centerpipe and removing the second cat will not require a remap, wait until a few more goodies are ready to add. Remember to visit Boots for the ear plugs though, no resonator or 2nd cat = n.o.i.s.e. !!

Brian

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
way I figure it is turbo should suppress exhaust noise anyway. i like the existing setup TBH. I may just stick with that... ??

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I'm using a JDM centre pipe takeoff on my 99MY (£30 off scabbynet!), no cat but a resonator, releases some burble at full throttle but otherwise nice and stealth...and probably liberates 5 GG's or so.

As has been said an 01MY onwards needs the shorter (by 100mm) centre section as also fitted to the newage Impreza (WRX or for more noise due to smaller silencer STi), no power benefit as the stock part is straight through anyway - just more noise!

Simon

·
Registered
2000 s-turbo
229 Posts
I'm working 7 days a week at the moment, so days will be awkward, I'm up for popping across any evening though if it helps.

Here's a short vid of my car static reving, it's a little quieter now it's sooted up.

YouTube - Hayward and Scott exhaust

yes I know it's smokes a bit and needs a stronger ARB :icon_redface:

·
Registered
2004 XT2.0 MT
108 Posts
Hey Guinness looks like you have the same set up as me sounds lovely doesn't it. Loud but not obnoxious :biggrin:
Going to put it on a rolling road soon to see if their claims hold up re horsepower.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts