Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 forester L AT
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to replace the passenger side front CV axle without removing the ball joint?

After 12 years, removing the ball joint is a PIA/impossible...

·
Registered
1997 Forester T/tb auto
65 Posts
yes i have done it. undo the axle nut then undo struts and caliper. Turn the steering to full lock. Next push down on the spindle and control arm, it might take a bit of fiddling but it will come out..

·
Registered
2002 Forester manual
79 Posts
I did not have to turn mine to full lock to do it. Didn't need to remove caliper either. Remove axel nut, and two strut bolts. Tap out the roll pin at the trans and pull the spindle towards you, that will pull it off trans than you can pull the axel out the back of the hub. At least I was able to do it that way on both my fronts.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Manual
311 Posts
I prefer to take the bottom ball joint castle nut off then pop the tapered stud out of the lower control arm with the cheap harbor-freight press. No re-alignment required, and no fears about breaking the pinch bolt.

·
Registered
2001 forester L AT
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i have done it. undo the axle nut then undo struts and caliper. Turn the steering to full lock. Next push down on the spindle and control arm, it might take a bit of fiddling but it will come out..
I did not have to turn mine to full lock to do it. Didn't need to remove caliper either. Remove axel nut, and two strut bolts. Tap out the roll pin at the trans and pull the spindle towards you, that will pull it off trans than you can pull the axel out the back of the hub. At least I was able to do it that way on both my fronts.
I just took the strut assembly out so it wasn't in the way, removed the axle nut and twisted the hub out of the way. Axle comes out with a little wiggling
This works if you take out the 2 bolts holding the strut to the knuckle. Not the 3 holding the strut to the frame.

Axle nut, roll pin, 2 strut bolts. Done.

I prefer to take the bottom ball joint castle nut off then pop the tapered stud out of the lower control arm with the cheap harbor-freight press. No re-alignment required, and no fears about breaking the pinch bolt.
This doesn't work without an actual ball joint tool/puller/etc.

·
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,468 Posts
I have unscrewed the tie rod and unbolted the top of the strut before also. You can sneak it out without having to separate the ball joint OR get an alignment afterward. The only trick you need to remember is to (very accurately) measure the position of the jamb nut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts