Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a way to solve the universally acknowledged design flaw in the front cup holder placement. I was trying to find out if the center console between the front seats can be replaced with on that has cup holders. Is there anyone that can help:icon_question:

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
52 Posts
I agree it is strange to have square cup holders. Here is a real easy trick without replacing your center console. Find coolie-cups-- the foam holders which you place your favorite beverage in to keep cool. Slice in half and place inside of current center console cup holders sections using velcro on either side to secure. The foam allows give-- so larger cups can fit in and the smaller cups don't slide around thus reducing the dreaded spill and cleanup. The velcro also allows removal for easy cleaning and the coolie-cups come in a variety of colors to match your interior or wild side :)). Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
I'm going to say it might be done but not easily or cheaply. The OP's car is a 2001 with a pull-out cup holder next to the radio, when you drive any spillage gets on the radio and temp controls, then runs down the rest of the dash. The second Poster's is a 09 completely different.
The console that the OP is probably talking about is from the SG lineup with the cup holders aft of the shifter. If you were to take an SG console, the shifter cutout is different from the SF and I don't think would lineup, also the mounts of the two consoles might be different as well.
If the console mounts matched you could possibly cut the console just before the shifter and mount the rest of the SG console including the cup holders and armrest. Not sure this would look pretty.

I got used to living with the pull-out cup holder for about 8 years on my 99. I just kept a pack of baby wipes in the car to clean up any spillage on the dash.

What both of you could do to help everyone out is to add your vehicle info to your Signature. Just go into your User CP, Edit Signature and add basic info such as year/model/transmission. That way it will show up every time you post and hopefully aid in model specific responses.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I had not thought about taking one from another model. You're right, it may not be pretty, but it is an option. The main concern is the location of the emergency brake lever in the '01. That's what puts the wrinkle in the problem. If you or anyone else come across anymore info please let me know. I'll do the same.
Thanks again!:icon_razz:

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Search help needed!

After a lot of web searching I have found numerous aftermarket center consoles. None that are year/model specific. I also tried to find someone that could custom make one, but to no avail. If anyone knows of any person or company that makes custom interior parts, please let me know. I have read tons of reviews for the 2001 forester that had complaints about the flimsy cup holders located above the stereo that blocks the controls and the AC vents. Surely, in this day and age, someone has, or can find, a solution to this problem. With all the custom aftermarket items to be found, I find it hard to believe it hasn't happened. Newer Forester models have the cup holders beside the emergency brake lever. Can't this be done for the earlier models as a retro fit?
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2001 Forester
6 Posts
I bought a cup holder designed to fit on the door (search "rubberqueen cup holder", since I can't post a URL here), but attached it to the console instead. (I have a 2001 automatic Forester.)

1) I cut off the hard plastic doohickey on the end of the cup holder strap,
2) then lifted the black plastic insert in the Subaru console that surrounds the shift lever,
3) then inserted the strap of the cup holder in the small space between the two plastic pieces,
4) then added some black duct tape (extends from the top of the cup holder strap to the inside of the console),
5) then snapped the console back together.

This homebrew solution gives me only 1 cup holder, but it looks decent and it's held up so far.

The other alternative I considered, but didn't try: Go to your local boating store, and buy one of the gimbal-mount or soft plastic holders they sell, then screw that to the passenger side of the console. Might be more secure than my solution, but would stick out farther, and would require drilling holes in the plastic console.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts