Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an exhaust leak and its coming out of where two pipes connect where there is a gasket. I have already bought a gasket to replace it, and will probably go at it today. However, someone mentioned to me that it is going to be hard getting off the bolts. Anyone have any tips that can help me out on getting the job done?

·
Premium Member
04 XT
729 Posts
Soak liberally with a penetrating lubricant like PB Blaster. A few times over a few days if you can. Sometimes heating the car up can help. Please wear gloves and eye protection. Having a breaker bar is valuable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips! I do have everything you mentioned, but didn't think about wearing protection, Thanks.

How much can the bolts with stand? I'm a little worried about breaking the bolts with my breaker bar, since I have done stuff like that in the past.

·
Premium Member
04 XT
729 Posts
As long as it's not the spring bolts they are readily replaceable, yes? Or are they studs with nuts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eclipse said:
As long as it's not the spring bolts they are readily replaceable, yes? Or are they studs with nuts?
Actually it is the spring bolts. Its the Gasket after the rear cat that I need to replace. I already checked with the autoparts store and they don't have any listings for those bolts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is an update:

I was unable to use a breaker bar so I had to use a ratchet with a bar on the end. That seemed to work great.

I was able to get the first one off.

However the second one broke.

So I guess I'll take a trip to a hardware store and see if they have anything that is close. Do I need any special type bolt?

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
a friend of mine broke his so we made one with a bolt the same size and 2 washers and the same spring. worked just fine, just make sure you use stainless or another metal so the next time you go to tear it apart it will be easier :) . you could make two and replace the one you didn't brake also

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
a friend of mine broke his so we made one with a bolt the same size and 2 washers and the same spring. worked just fine, just make sure you use stainless or another metal so the next time you go to tear it apart it will be easier :) . you could make two and replace the one you didn't brake also
don't use stainless for both bolt and nut. stainless won't rust, but it will gall and be hard to get apart (similar to rusted). i can't remember exactly what I did last time. I think I went with a stainless bolt and regular plated steel nut w/ anti-seize but it could have been vice-versa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts