Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Autozone.com has free online manuals that are not bad. I wouldn't skimp on information when headed into a diy repair that will cost $400-500, if you overhaul the cylinder heads, and you should.

good luck

·
Registered
377 Posts
What I meant is to check every source possible; Subaru download manual, AZ online manuals, posts on this forum and other forums. A single tip from others can make a difference.

good luck

·
Registered
377 Posts
The reason I always overhaul heads w/ HG replacement stems from my first HG replacement on a Mitsubishi 2.5L, 6 cylinder inline engine in a 80's Voyager. Head looked good and valves seemed to be seating. I checked flatness and could not detect anything out of specs. I replaced HG and 2 wks later had coolant leaking into cylinders. I had been told to always shave aluminum heads and wanted to get by w/o that step. After having head rebuilt and shaved, I reinstalled w/o problems. I've done 4-5 other HG jobs since and have no further problems w/ rebuilt heads on each job.

This is not definitive proof that rebuilding heads is always necessary, but you risk having to do the job twice IMO, if you don't. Each Diy'r must make this decision.

Head overhaul is disassembly, checking for cracks, install new valve stem seals, reseating all valves, and finally shaving the head absolutely flat (few mils shaved).

good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.