Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Legacy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am doing a head gasket replacement. Have reviewed the excellent write-ups in this forum but still have 1 question:

My timing belt is all lined up with the proper marks on my 2.5 DOHC engine must I make up a tool to lock both cam pulleys together before I remove the belt ?

Once the belt is removed can I then take off the locking tool to remove the cam sprocket to get the cam out ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
A tool would be nice, but not strictly necessary (I did it without one - just a strap wrench and an extra 30-45 minutes of cursing and re-trying). And of course you can release the cams afterwards (you'll need to get them aligned again though when you're done with cam seals and whatever you intend to do there).

There is not that much force there, and it's only one cam (others are at rest), so it's really no big deal.

·
Registered
96 Legacy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Camshaft locking

Thanks for the info.

So what did you actually put the strap wrench on ? And once the belt comes off and I release the strap wrench I assume the left intake cam will move a bit.

I then will remove the cam sprocket and unbolt the cams. After removing my heads and doin my stuff, I'll reinstall the heads and cam shaft, put the sprocket back on and then using an appropriate wrench realign the cam marks which will put the intake back under tension - reinstall the strap wrench and put the old belt (or new) back on.

Is that it in a nutshell ?

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
More or less. I did not "install" the strap wrench, I was just holding it. And it went over the cam sprocket (one my one). Make sure you use something flexible (i.e, rubber strap) so that not to damage the sprockets.

For as long as the engine is in proper phase (as per instructions in the manual), there is no risk of interference (even if something slips badly) and the... I think top left... cam will only move a little when released. For as long as you keep this in mind, you're good. As for the alignment, I went the ghetto way - installing the belt over the difficult cam first, THEN aligning the sprockets using the belt and strap wrench, as needed. Just a matter of keeping the tension on that one cam, and keeping an eye on those pesky timing marks. An extra pair of hands it would be mighty helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts