Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on removing front and rear door panels--just trying t avoid damange. I am on replacing the factory speakers with some Alpine SPS 600's .

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just upgraded my front speakers in my MY10 as you and you need the following: small flat screwdriver with the tip taped up, phillips screwdriver, a plastic putty type knife and a dedicated automotive trim panel remover. All of these could be picked up at your local parts store.

First find the little screw covers in the handle and door. Gently pry them with your covered flat blade screwdriver and remove the screws.

Next find the little slot on the armrest control plastic on the side closer to the front of the car. Hold the same covered flat screwdriver more towards a vertical position and push toward the sky. Levering didnt work for me, I just pushed up and the spring clips gave way. You can then just lift it off and work it around with your hands. You have to disconnect the switch plugs. Remove 2 more screws.

To remover the actuall panel I started toward the rear of the door but Im sure you could start anywhere. I slid in a plastic putty knife to gently pry away so I could find the white clips and then used the trim panel tool to pry the door panel off. work your way around the bottom and sides. The panel will come off but there is the light to disconnect and the door opener cables. Just pop the cables out of their stays and the cable end should slide out of the capture.

Now just pull the whole panel up and it should come off easy. The rears should be the same principle.
putting on is just the reverse.

You will enjoy as I did because the factory audio is HORRIBLE!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5MT
61 Posts
Remove stupid white plastic pieces.

I did a 3-way front stage install including sound deadening of doors this winter (will post pics in spring when I can get good photos). Was one hell of a job but worked out great.

Doors were easy to remove (see post above). Best bet is a door removal tool that pops the plastic tabs off the steel. Search around this site and you'll find the exact locations of the tabs - can't remember where I found photos.

When you have the doors off, you'll see some white pieces of plastic. Remove them - just rip them off or cut them out. They vibrate and serve no purpose. They're totally stupid.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the advice given so far! I'll post up pics of the installation.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
246 Posts
I also recomend sound deadening while the doors are apart too. I hate taking panels off more than I have to because everytime you do things jus get looser and thats where more rattling starts.
I did the peel and seal route as I had the stuff laying around. I layered the outer skin first and then the inside. I just covered over the white plastic piece everyone talks about. Its not going anywhere! I didnt have the ensolite stuff but I did want to do that too. The doors deffinitely have that THUD when you close them. I will do the rears and hatch door soon.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Heres the job I just did when I installed the eclipse speakers recently. It all sounds good for a couple hours of you time. Im going to get some of that ensolite product also just as added rattle insurance.

Heres the inside of MY10 door panel

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this the white plastic piece some are removing due to rattles?

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finished the install on all 4 doors -- 6.5" Speaker upgrade (Alpine 600S), Dynamatted the doors, and removed all the white plastic baffles / supports that were rattling.

Tips:
  • The stock HU-press "MENU" button and turn CS off, now you will actually be able to hear the rear speakers.
  • Layer the inside of your speaker spacers with Dynamat and put 2 layers of dynamat on the sheet metal surrounding the speakers.

Found the Bulk Pack of Dynamat online for $139 shipped (10 sheets 4.5 leftover after install), and the speakers for $125 shipped, definitely worth the improvement.

Thank you for all the advice, the audio is remarkably improved!

·
Registered
2003 Forrester
4 Posts
Found clips to replaced missing ones

This is a diagram that shows you where the white tabs are. I got a $10 set of vinyl tools which was super handy.
and this post from another member really helps

03 forester, While I was working on window noise I lost a few clips on the door panels. I found that that Auto Advance sells ones like it in the Help section. See Nissan door clips. They worked great!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Question - I am not a handy guy but am considering undertaking a speaker upgrade project.

Ive read the directions for door removal but in some of them people have referred to "sail panels" and that they break very easily.

What are Sail Panels? Where will I encounter them? Advice on how best to deal with them?

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X L
10 Posts
Question - I am not a handy guy but am considering undertaking a speaker upgrade project.

Ive read the directions for door removal but in some of them people have referred to "sail panels" and that they break very easily.

What are Sail Panels? Where will I encounter them? Advice on how best to deal with them?
sail panels are the triangular pieces in the corner of the window that house the tweeter. there are some tips on other posts for removing them. you just have to be careful.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT
272 Posts
I too am concerned about damaging the sail panels in the process of removing the doors. Should I order some spare ones to be on the safe side? I too am really irritated by the sound the stock speakers make.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
I too am concerned about damaging the sail panels in the process of removing the doors. Should I order some spare ones to be on the safe side? I too am really irritated by the sound the stock speakers make.
I ordered a spare set for fear that I would damage/break the housing. However, removal was far easier than I feared. I found that the metal spring clip will easily come off, but it can be adjusted with pliers to work like new.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT
272 Posts
According to this thread the sail panels are quite fragile. Is there a procedure posted somewhere on how to remove them safely?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts