Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 Forester Cross Sport SG5

Going through pains to try and make sure the Forester i imported doesn't end up a rust bucket in the Canadian winter i have a few questions.

1) i see people saying that the black plastic on the lip of the inner fender actually traps moisture and can cause rust and i should remove it? My line of thinking on leaving it on is since I'm summer i drive on a small patch of gravel and in winter when it gets really cold they put sand on the snow the protection from Rock chips would prevent trust too so I'm kind of at a cross roads.

2) I'm also installing rally armor flaps but I'm concerned about the quarter panel where the bumper meets the body where lots of rust happens. Will mudflaps splash rocks and moisture that would otherwise go under the car into that area or are the mudflaps a safe solution to gravel/sand/snow?

Any thoughts? I'm honestly having a panic attack about this winter and the rust that's probably coming.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,939 Posts
@defury no winter road salt is used here in Oregon where I live, so undercarriage rusting isn't a problem. Even our '95 Neon Sport is rust free!

If you remove those. you might consider cleaning & adding additional rubberized undercoat on the dirty side & a protective coating on the bottom edge of the fender to protect the finish from rock chipping.

The other option is to do the above & then reinstall what Subaru calls "PROTR ARCH" - 91016SA000, which runs nearly $30/USD each!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would you treat the metal with? Are they simple to remove and install? They look like they've never been off the car so I'm not sure how they will hold up being removed.

Could i also treat the metal where the quarter panel meets the rear bumper somehow as well?

We use a little salt but mostly sand since it gets too cold for salt to do anything most of the time.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,939 Posts
@defury they are installed by just pushing them on... friction fit. They fit tightly until they get old & they loose their grip, noticeable on the ends.

Basically, remove them. Clean the dirty side of the fender thoroughly, let dry & inspect for possible rusting. If no issues that need to fixed, coat with rubberized spray on undercoat (optional). Mask the edges of the painted fender to prevent getting undercoating on it.

As to the painted fender edge. Clean, look for signs of rusting or paint failure. If it looks good, give it a coat of wax.

Personally, I'd reinstall the rubber protective pieces, just remove them yearly to clean under them & inspect for rusting.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm an appointment with a Krown dealer to have the car fully done over with Krown spray, hopefully that will help alot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts