Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 forester standard
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bough a 2003 forester for this winter and my ac compressor is making some noise, is it possible to just cut the belt?
thanks

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,421 Posts
I see this is your first fourm post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

If you're 100% sure it's the AC compressor & you don't want to fix the problem now, yes, you could do that. Just keep in mind your defogging of the windshield won't be as good, as the AC is used when that function is selected. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1999 Forester Auto (for now)
37 Posts
It should be fine, but first you might want to take it to a shop and have the freon removed (many shops will not charge for this because they can reuse the freon).
That way when summer comes you can just swap the compressor, vacuum the system and charge it.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,421 Posts
The only issue you might experience is a slightly higher engine idle when you're in the defog mode on your climate control. The AC is normally run in that setting with heat, so the ECM will up the engine idle to compenstate for the load of the AC compressor. This shouldn't cause any problems, other than the higher idle when the ECM thinks the AC compressor is running. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2003 forester standard
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for your answers!
is it complicated to remove this belt? or I should juste cut the belt?
Sounds like a bearing noise from the ac compressor.
By the way, I don't really need a/c, 0°F tomorrow.
I bought this car to have some fun in snow this winter.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,022 Posts
thanks for your answers!
is it complicated to remove this belt?
Sounds like a bearing noise from the ac compressor.
Mine needed a charge. Works fine now. Also could be an idler bearing.

·
Registered
1999 Forester auto
118 Posts
x2, could be the idler. It's fairly easy to take off the belt, and if it's in good working order, it will save you $12 +. The alternator belt has come off first, search and you'll find lots of video and writeups about getting it off. It's a simple job - almost exactly the same method to removing the A/C belt.

Once it's off you can spin the idler to see if it's loose or chattering - which would indicate it's making the noise. The A/C just might be low on freon, adding to the misdiagnosis. Better to get a set of gauges on it to determine what's really wrong rather than make expensive decisions based on something making a noise.

It could be the alternator. Front accessory drive noises are hard to pinpoint.

One method is to use a mechanic's stethoscope - a long rod that is hooked to earpieces so you can literally hear which bearing or area the noise is coming from. A good substitute is a long screwdriver, place the tip against that part while the engine is running and listen with the handle pressed to an ear.

Caution: The engine is running, the belts are turning, it's not a casual job.

Don't cut the belt. You may very well find out all you did is spend money to replace something that is making the noise, plus a good belt too.

·
Registered
2003 forester standard
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
x2, could be the idler. It's fairly easy to take off the belt, and if it's in good working order, it will save you $12 +. The alternator belt has come off first, search and you'll find lots of video and writeups about getting it off. It's a simple job - almost exactly the same method to removing the A/C belt.

Once it's off you can spin the idler to see if it's loose or chattering - which would indicate it's making the noise. The A/C just might be low on freon, adding to the misdiagnosis. Better to get a set of gauges on it to determine what's really wrong rather than make expensive decisions based on something making a noise.

It could be the alternator. Front accessory drive noises are hard to pinpoint.

One method is to use a mechanic's stethoscope - a long rod that is hooked to earpieces so you can literally hear which bearing or area the noise is coming from. A good substitute is a long screwdriver, place the tip against that part while the engine is running and listen with the handle pressed to an ear.

Caution: The engine is running, the belts are turning, it's not a casual job.

Don't cut the belt. You may very well find out all you did is spend money to replace something that is making the noise, plus a good belt too.
thank you!
the engine has been swapped and the ac piping is not connect to the compressor.
What's wrong could happen if I cut the belt?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts